General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Mounting Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
GBeck
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Size does matter

Start with a bike with a weight you can comfortably control. Five points of contact, two on the ground, two on the bars and your *** on the seat. Balance the bike and have your pax use you for balance while stepping across the seat. Oh yeah, go to the gym and bulk up!l Just a thought.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by electaRICK
First and Biggest, thing you both gotta learn,,, is a signal, that both of you use that allows you and her, to understand you're both ready!!!

every once in a great while, wife jumps on, catches me off guard,,,,, ahhh wtf..??
"now go pick up my gonads"!!!

Yep, thats what we do. My signal is yelling "Get your *** on woman!"
Her signal is smacking me in the back of the head.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 PM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
Last time I used that line on my wife in front of friends she told me her *** was already on the bike . HA HA to save face I agreed .

Old 02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Standing, sitting,left side, right side. Get a center stand then you can stand on the side and watch her get on either side!

I have to help my wife get on (she has M/S) and the center stand works best for us.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
When sitting on the bike you are using your quads of your leg to try to maintain stability of the bike. Your legs are bent thereby decreasin leverage. Once the bike leans too far it goes down.

That said, I stand flatfooted with my legs barely spread clamping the seat with my inner thighs. The bike cannot move. With the bike "leaning" aginst your thighs it takes the weakest point (the knee) out of the equation. Picture it as leaning the bike against a fence post. If it can't teeter either way it can't fall over. Doing it this way I sometimes won't hold on to the bars.

I pull up to the mailbox, stand this way, lean over to get the mail, even pick the paper up from the street. With your legs down and locked you can lean any way you want from the waist.

Try it, works for me.
I also use this technique, although I never thought about all the Physics involved :-). In any event, having my feet firmly on the ground and my legs locked works best for me, and I'm only 5'6". I am lucky, however, because my wife's a little lady as well.

Bill

Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Cakalac
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Let me be the first to commend you on having the guts to post your wifes weight on the internet.
Its all about balance, your never actually holding anything near 900 pounds.
I usually stand the bike up and hold the front brake and look forward, don't watch her.
She puts her hands on my shoulders as she gets on.
I lean the bike slightly to the right as my wife steps on the floorboard and straighten it up as she swings her leg through. You can leave the jiffy stand down just in case.
Well she is not aware of the weight post and hopefully won't find out. LOL!

Originally Posted by cowboy1
If you can't manage to get a passenger on without trouble, you need to either get some more miles on you before riding 2 up or find a new hobby.
Sorry man, I know I'm the only one to do this so I am just going to sell my bike.

Originally Posted by gunner11
My wife gets on while the bike is on the stand, then I get on and stand it up.(got really stong legs). when we stop I put the stand down, I get off, then offer my hand and help her, like the perfect gentleman I am but she never makes a move until I tell her. (trained her well)
I believe we are going to try this to see how it works for us. I'm just not sure I will be able to get the weight up like this. However I do know that turning the wheel to the right makes a huge difference in the bike weight. We'll see what happens.

Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin
I was expecting something different cause of the title.
You aren't the only one partner!

Originally Posted by GBeck
Start with a bike with a weight you can comfortably control. Five points of contact, two on the ground, two on the bars and your *** on the seat. Balance the bike and have your pax use you for balance while stepping across the seat. Oh yeah, go to the gym and bulk up!l Just a thought.
Well I've already decided on my bike so I have to move forward from here. I will be ok just have to practice in the garage to get a comfortable way of doing it. I'm quiet sure I'm not alone here with this when your a new rider, but maybe I'm wrong. I know Cowboy has never had anything happen to him and his bike.

Last edited by Cakalac; 02-09-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
LMAO!! Gotta try that one. If she kicks my ****, you "won't" hear about it.

Bill

Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 PM
powaypete
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
Wow! I'm amazed at how many people let their passenger mount from the left. The proper side to mount (both rider & passenger) a motorcycle is from the right side. The main reason being ....
Not the reason why I mount from the Right side. I always kick started with the bike on the side stand and the kicker is on the right side of the bike. Why should I walk around the bike to mount it?

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
.... The main reason being that if you mount/dismount from the left side, you are stepping off on the traffic lane side of the bike, with your BACK TO TRAFFIC. ....
Why in the hell are you parking your bike like a car? You should have the rear tire against the curb and approaching the bike from the right gives you a straight line of sight on traffic?

Articharleyman - I'm not hassleing you, but agreeing with you but using a different approach ?

Originally Posted by SgtThump
Should've got a left-handed bike.

That's kinda like climbing through the passenger seat to get to the drivers seat in a car/truck. Just kidding...
Wife still gets in my truck from the drivers door before I get in the truck ! ! !

Back to the subject:
Getting on the Bike:
I grab the front brake handle, swing from the right, straighten up the bike while seated, bring up the side stand, stand up with the bike balanced between my legs, nod head, wife gets on from the right.
Dismounting the bike:
Come to a full stop (backed into the parking spot if necessary), front brake is applied, stand up, nod head, wife gets off, I sit, put down the side stand, lean bike onto side stand, dismount to the right.