General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Mounting Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Let me be the first to commend you on having the guts to post your wifes weight on the internet.
Its all about balance, your never actually holding anything near 900 pounds.
I usually stand the bike up and hold the front brake and look forward, don't watch her.
She puts her hands on my shoulders as she gets on.
I lean the bike slightly to the right as my wife steps on the floorboard and straighten it up as she swings her leg through. You can leave the jiffy stand down just in case.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Tell her she has to hold on to the saddle horn........

Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 AM
pigpipes
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with my passenger mounting procedure is that once the passenger has been properly mounted, I just want to take a nap....

I also applaud ranger for being considerate enough to make sure his wife gets off first.

I'm not a pervert, just morally challenged

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 AM
RDKing07
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way we have always done it and it works well for us is to leave the bike on the kickstand and she gets on from the right side rear floor board while I have my foot on my left side floor board. Once she is seated then I throw my leg over and she helps get the bike up by leaning when I start standing the bike up. Sounds strange I guess for some, but has worked well for us for years. She only weighs 125 lbs so it isn't alot of work, compared to my fat ars 205lbs.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If, on the other hand, you're somewhat of a saddist, you can have them start from about 5 feet away, lift their right leg and hold it perfectly horizontal to the ground. Then you have them hop on their left leg, moving toward the bike and aiming the lifted leg into the space between you and the sissy bar. Once in position, she can then lower her right leg and place it on the peg while sitting down on the seat.

Dismounting is done quite the same way.

Disclaimer: While this is quite comical to watch, you better not laugh!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
sporty06
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I just started practicing riding 2 up. I usually stand up, holding the bike between my legs with the front brake applied. then she steps up on the left peg, steps through and sits down. Reverse for dismounting. Then yesterday I forgot to stand up as she was dismounting and almost dropped the RG. Motor was still running and as I was trying to hold the bike I gunned hell out of the engine so I am sure everyone at the dealership knew what was happening..... After thinking about what happened I think the fact that I was still sitting is the reason for the near drop. Now when I stop I kill the engine, put the jiffy stand down, stand up and tell her to dismount. I feel that I have better control of the weight and balance if I am standing.

I am 5'11'' and 220 lbs so I don't know how this will work with someone smaller.

sporty06

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cowboy1
If you can't manage to get a passenger on without trouble, you need to either get some more miles on you before riding 2 up or find a new hobby.
The guy was askin an honest question... Bit harsh on the reply don't you think?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I apply front brake with bike off of jiffy stand and feet planted while standing. She gets on when I nod. Another way I have seen it done is I have a friend that gets on the bike and leaves it on the jiffy stand while his big wife mounts up. I have had to strain to hold up the bike a few times over a passenger trying to use the back floorboard as a spring board to sail into the saddle.

Last edited by oldairboater; 02-09-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife gets on while the bike is on the stand, then I get on and stand it up.(got really stong legs). when we stop I put the stand down, I get off, then offer my hand and help her, like the perfect gentleman I am but she never makes a move until I tell her. (trained her well)

Old 02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Ultra110
The guy was askin an honest question... Bit harsh on the reply don't you think?
Ditto, what's up with the azzhole reply?

Quick Reply: Passenger Mounting Procedure