General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Mounting Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you've figured out a method that works for you. I can't imagine the challenges someone of your size faces with this. I'm on the other side of the spectrum as it were. I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs. I simply stand up with the bike sandwiched between my legs, front brake applied. She places her left hand on my left shoulder, her left foot on the foot board, steps up and swings her leg over, rather like mounting a horse. It works every time. The only time we had a problem was when she didn't confirm that I was ready before stepping up and I almost dropped the bike. Now, she taps my shoulder, I give her a nod, and 2 seconds later it's all over.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't manage to get a passenger on without trouble, you need to either get some more miles on you before riding 2 up or find a new hobby.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

It's all about having control of the bike and being in a stable position. You may have to try a few of the ones that have been mentioned here to see what works for you. Like Intrepid175 has pointed out, size can have a lot to do with it when it comes to what position to use. I am 6' 2" and 235 lbs. and use the same procedure as he does.

Jim

Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Wife has bad knees can't get on easily. She gets on first, I get on stand up the bike with both of us. When we stop, I get off first, then she dismounts.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain

+1 for Chas' technique. Works for us!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 AM
17L1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cakalac
So how do you all do mounting?
Any way she'll let me!

Sorry, couldn't resist

Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in 30yrs and Ive never givin it a thought(laughing to self)I get on she gets on,she gets off I get off...allways from the right side....Wow cant believe I answer'd this hehehe....

Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ranger56528
in 30yrs and Ive never givin it a thought(laughing to self)I get on she gets on,she gets off I get off...allways from the right side....Wow cant believe I answer'd this hehehe....
we still talking bout motorcycles here ?

When I started riding I only weighed in at 145lbs. dating a girl that was 5'9 and 135 lbs. Tell your wife that as she puts her weight on the left peg and starts to step up, to lean just over the top of our head dead center, and ease her leg on over to the other peg , holding on to your shoulders for support. Then ease her weight on back into the seat... The idea is to keep yours and her weights centered over the bike. You need to brace the bike with your legs and arms, holding it still.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Bike running in neutral, both feet on ground and seated on the saddle. Have passanger mount up just like rideing a horse. Left hand on your left shoulder stand up on left foot peg swing leg over sissy bar and sit down.

Most people are afraid to put their total weight on peg because they think it will break, I find that if a reassure them that it can take there weight they are less like to worry about that, and just step up normally.

OTOH My wife's girl friend that rides with us just stands flat footed next to the bike and swings her leg over without ever stepping up on the peg. Even though this is something to see she lands kind of hard and throws the bike off balance a little, as well as any guy's standing around. If you know what I mean Vern...

Old 02-09-2009, 06:03 AM
rocstar50
Cruiser

I prefer to straddle the bike standing upright. I feel that I have more control than I would if sitting. I also find that I am able to react quicker from standing position if the bike does feel like tipping over.

Quick Reply: Passenger Mounting Procedure