General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vivid Black paint match??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009 | 08:05 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

HD sells vivid black rattle cans for $19.95 a can. I just painted my batwing inner with it and it matches perfectly - no need for the clear at this point.
Their paint is Acrylic Lacquer which is super easy to apply and dries ultra quick. I typically wet sand to #2000 grit and buff out to an awsome shine.
I've also used Duplicolor clear (acrylic lacquer) as a top coat with good results.
By the way - black is not black - many variations!
And course a professional paint gun, two part paints, and a good spray booth with talent will always yield the absolute best results. But great results can be obtained with the rattle can.

Old 02-09-2009 | 08:11 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sniper77
I can tell ya even people at the traffic light next to me can tell the difference
Originally Posted by dawg
That was you?
You didn't have to slap momma on the shoulder just to get her to look, and both of you laugh and point your finger!

Old 02-09-2009 | 08:52 AM
pigpipes
Cruiser

Note that I mentioned "quality" paint. Black is black, period. There are many whites, silvers, golds, etc, but black is black. There are cheap paints out there with less toner or pigment and you may get variations in the base or clearcoat due to humidity, coverage, spray equipment, air pressure, too much, too little or the wrong reducer, or a hundred other variables that we learn about over the years. In almost 40 years of painting, I've learned that it's the painter, not the paint, again assuming you're using quality materials.

Old 02-09-2009 | 09:06 AM
pigpipes
Cruiser

A few other thoughts. "Gloss Black" single stage paint will never look the same as a black basecoat with a clearcoat over it. You'll never get the same look or depth to the finish as clear alters the light refraction qualities.

And NEVER EVER spray or handle a 2 part urethane clearcoat without the proper fresh air breathing equipment, gloves and a paint suit. A charcoal mask won't cut it. The clear contains isocyanurates - nasty stuff that can kill you. It can get into your system through your lungs and your pores.

BTW, when it comes to paint and materials, my info comes not from body men or parts counter guys, but people who owned paint companies, House of Kolor and Xotic Colours, to be specific.

Old 02-09-2009 | 01:46 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

I'll leave it to the Pro's

Old 02-09-2009 | 02:22 PM
kylant
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
I'll leave it to the Pro's

yeah, that's best. but if i can make it look good and save $500 for the time being, that works for me

Old 02-09-2009 | 02:29 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

They charge $500 to paint a frikkin fender?

Old 02-09-2009 | 02:58 PM
pigpipes
Cruiser

what do you need painted?

Old 02-09-2009 | 03:11 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

I was thinking the inner fairing

Old 02-09-2009 | 03:26 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master

Most of the time a cheaper paint regardless if it is rattle can or sprayed through a gun will look brown or gray next to a true black. The rattle can won't have the durability of an "activated" product but can look ok if done properly.

Quick Reply: Vivid Black paint match??