General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vivid Black paint match??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009 | 03:27 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pigpipes
All quality black paint is the same so match is not an issue.
HUH?

There are probably 100's of variations of black. Match is an issue.

The following users liked this post:
HarleyBajaDrifter (12-19-2022)
Old 02-08-2009 | 03:33 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
HUH?

Harley's paint is proprietary. Just ask any body shop that does Harley repairs and they'll tell ya you can't get it anywhere but from the dealer.

I just did my front fender and tank with a Dupli-color base coat/clear coat and I can tell ya even people at the traffic light next to me can tell the difference

Old 02-08-2009 | 04:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sniper77
I can tell ya even people at the traffic light next to me can tell the difference
That was you?

Old 02-08-2009 | 08:51 PM
kylant
|
Road Captain

hey guys,

thanks for the info. i have sprayed a few small things with "gloss black" can't remember the brand, but it is definitely not the same black.

i will check the dealer. any idea how much is needed to do a fender?

Old 02-08-2009 | 10:13 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

enuf, that's how much.

Old 02-08-2009 | 10:59 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Ouch. !!

And HD doesn't even make the paint, they just have someone make and label it for them.
HD uses PPG paints

Old 02-08-2009 | 11:04 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Harley's paint is proprietary. Just ask any body shop that does Harley repairs and they'll tell ya you can't get it anywhere but from the dealer.

I just did my front fender and tank with a Dupli-color base coat/clear coat and I can tell ya even people at the traffic light next to me can tell the difference
You can get HD colors from a PPG dealer! I did. It may take the dealer a couple days but you will end up with the mix instructions the PPG dealer uses to formulate the paint. I have painted two HD bikes using this approach. The paint is not cheap. I think I spent a little over $130 for paint, clearcoat and reducer.

Old 02-08-2009 | 11:14 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
HUH?

Not unless there's a metallic or pearl, or unless you get a blush in it from shooting too cold or something.

I put myself through college as a painter's helper in a body shop and I still have a full complement of tools. I've touched up "vivid" black with any number of brands of black and as long as I got a good match on the texture, ie not too much or too little orange peel, etc., it matches.

Every body man I've ever talked to taught me that black is black.

Old 02-09-2009 | 01:44 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

The formulas are available from their paint supplier, usually. I know in the Sherwin-Williams automotive paint system, you can just look up HD, and get a whole list of colors and formulas that have been matched. If you don't find them there, you can call the help line, and they have a few more. If nothing else, you can always send a color sample off to the lab to be matched.

Harley colors seem to be far more readily available than the import bikes. They seem to use a lot more tri-stage colors.

Old 02-09-2009 | 01:50 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Not unless there's a metallic or pearl, or unless you get a blush in it from shooting too cold or something.

I put myself through college as a painter's helper in a body shop and I still have a full complement of tools. I've touched up "vivid" black with any number of brands of black and as long as I got a good match on the texture, ie not too much or too little orange peel, etc., it matches.
I can print you out a few dozen formulas if you like. It's pretty rare to mix a black and have it just be a bunch of black tint dumped into the container. Some have a bit of violet, blue, yellow, red, white, green, or some combination of the above, in the mix. A very deep black will run about 2% violet. That's just talking color. Then you can add in varying degrees of gloss and opacity. I had a customer who just wanted black, black, and had to make a custom formula that was just black tint with nothing else in it.

Every body man I've ever talked to taught me that black is black.
Yeah... body men are a great source of bad paint advice. You should have talked to the painter.

Quick Reply: Vivid Black paint match??