General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Battery Tender Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:00 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karz10
I hope this isn't considered a hijack, but was wondering which tender to look at for an 03 Road King, not that it matters the model, but anyway, I was on the HD site recently and saw there's more than one model to choose from, and I didn't study it, but didn't see right away an easy plug type set up...

Most people go w/ one of the HD ones, or aftermarket? Either way, which one?

Thanks.
Don't be suckered by gimmicks. Since Canada and Mexico use the same wall outlet as the U.S., who needs an international plug on a tender? H-D sells one though. If you hurry, you might just get your bagger across the Bering Straits before the ice breaks up.

Just be sure it's a "tender", "float charger", or "battery maintainer" not a trickle charger. Current will be 1.5 to 1.0 amp. A "trickle charger" won't automatically cycle on and off as needed when the battery reaches full charge, so it will cook a battery if left on too long.

Don't let the sales guy up-sell you just because you have an Ultra. The lower current models will take longer to bring a weak battery to full charge, but will work fine unless your battery is already dead, or you have one heck of an alarm system draw. Even the 1 amp models can keep any typical motorcycle, boat, or car battery peaked up.
Mine is a Schumacher 1.5A "battery maintainer" from WalMart, about $25. Came with a pigtail too.

Go to WalMart, BoatsUS, Autozone, Harbor Freight or wherever and use the ~$25 you save towards your spring oil change.

Last edited by mbwannabe1; 02-07-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sears unit on sale is what I've got and never had any issues.

The bit with the seat back on is no problem just be 100% sure that your wiring is "NEVER" ran across the top of the battery posts or the top of the battery period.

The seat has a tendency to flex with rider on it. All this flexing and dropping down weighs on top the battery.

If you have wires there it will rub through them and short them out and cause an electrical fire under your @$$ and right at the battery too... :0

Run any wires down besides the battery or in front of it, but never ever over the top....

Don't ask me how I know this....

Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Another thing to consider is the routing. Check and double check that your harness isn't to close to anything real hot and certainly kept clear of the belt drive.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by wildman67
have mine snaked out by my oil tank and don't take my seat off.
............YEP, Me Too

Old 02-07-2009, 08:49 AM
vixyswillie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ram
Don't ask me how I know this....
LOL Hopefully, your **** wasn't in place at the time! Yikes!

My wife has a saying that applies here: "We learn more from our 'Never again' stories than all the rest of them."

I'll drink to that!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 AM
alame
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, seat, cover, on all and plugged into the gizbot in the garage

Old 02-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain

Never had a problem with mine.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LucklessPedestrian
there's plenty to choose from...I personnally don't have the "battery tender" name brand, I use the black and decker and a schumacher brand, both relatively do the same thing, have the same type 2 pole plug for permanent mount and batt clips...both were less than $20 and have worked flawlessly - Wally World (don't over think it)
+1. I have a bunch of the $18.95 Black and Decker float chargers from Wal Mart. 3 bikes, riding lawn mower, farm equipment...

They work great and come with the attachment/plug for the battery so it can hang out just under the seat of the bike.

I also have one from HD. Seems like I paid almost a "hunnert dollars" for it before I learned better.