General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Battery Tender Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem as the charger is passing such a small current that heat will not be a problem.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:29 PM
bopper03
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two bikes, both have chargers on them all winter, with covers on the the bikes, no issues/problems.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadman77
Same here, but I have also wondered about the battery vapors being trapped under the seat or cover.
No problems so far, so I will continue on.
MikeM
I always worried about the battery vapors also getting trapped under the cover. Before I had a garage, I kept it plugged in all winter long under a weatherproof cover under a porch with the dampness and wind driven rain occasionally and have never had a problem.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

I have mine plugged in all winter as well with no problems. However, a buddy plugged a tender to his boat one winter and burned his garage down, so I'm always careful when doing so.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 AM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTBlood
I have mine plugged in all winter as well with no problems. However, a buddy plugged a tender to his boat one winter and burned his garage down, so I'm always careful when doing so.
What was the problem ??? The tender, the boat, the receptacle???? Just curious.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Double00Aught
Road Master

Originally Posted by bcox
What was the problem ??? The tender, the boat, the receptacle???? Just curious.
It was an issue with the boat wiring but it still makes me step back and look. He never bought a new boat and built a new top-of-the-line garage from the ins money. It's still a little scary though.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:01 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I hope this isn't considered a hijack, but was wondering which tender to look at for an 03 Road King, not that it matters the model, but anyway, I was on the HD site recently and saw there's more than one model to choose from, and I didn't study it, but didn't see right away an easy plug type set up...

Most people go w/ one of the HD ones, or aftermarket? Either way, which one?

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 AM
vixyswillie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MTBlood
A buddy plugged a tender to his boat one winter and burned his garage down, so I'm always careful when doing so.
AAAACK!!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:56 AM
vixyswillie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by karz10
I hope this isn't considered a hijack, but was wondering which tender to look at for an 03 Road King, not that it matters the model, but anyway, I was on the HD site recently and saw there's more than one model to choose from, and I didn't study it, but didn't see right away an easy plug type set up...

Thanks.
My Stealership wrench steered me in the direction of the SuperSmart Battery Tender (12V 750mAmp) and the Battery Charging Harness (kit #94624-97B). The tender comes with a set of alligator clips - but the terminal connections on the end of the wiring harness are a better deal. You can install the harness and forget about it - just leave the connector hanging out somewhere so you can hook it up to the charger when you store it.

The harness instructions have directions for routing the wiring for all FL touring bikes, so I'm assuming you wouldn't have a problem with your '03 Road King.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 AM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

Originally Posted by karz10

Thanks.
there's plenty to choose from...I personnally don't have the "battery tender" name brand, I use the black and decker and a schumacher brand, both relatively do the same thing, have the same type 2 pole plug for permanent mount and batt clips...both were less than $20 and have worked flawlessly - Wally World (don't over think it)

Last edited by LucklessPedestrian; 02-07-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Quick Battery Tender Question