General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oncoming traffic and un-safe passing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride with the brights on most of the time.I'm sure it helps,but I'd still like to get some lights up front,especially for night riding.

I've given the finger to more than person for coming into my lane.It seems to happen mostly on two lane roads.A lot of times,someone is making a right and the person behind them doesn't feel like using their brakes.So they just drive around them and over the yellow line.Everybody is in a rush to go somewhere....or nowhere

Old 02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GB_FXST
I ride a lot of rural two lane highways, and have noticed the increasingly common problem of oncoming traffic making un-safe passes in my lane. For example, today, I was forced to rapidly slow from 75 to 20 (and considered riding onto the soft shoulder) to avoid a head on collision with not 1, not 2, but 3 cars that came into my lane to pass.

Anyone experience the same sort of thing?

Anyone have some coping strategies for this sort of problem?
Only coping stratagey I can think of is you always have to ride defensivly. Always expect the unexpected, and even then there may not be enough time to react.
Not trying to sound like a smarta$$, but 75mph on a two lane rural road is to fast anyway. Sure, you may be the best rider in the world, I'm not disputing that. All I am saying is that at 75,by the time you react, the distance you travel is greatly increased from say 55 or 60, and that may be all the time you needed to avoid some asshat acting stupid.
That would be "my" coping stratagy

Old 02-07-2009, 12:18 AM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DZLDR
Only coping stratagey I can think of is you always have to ride defensivly. Always expect the unexpected, and even then there may not be enough time to react.
Not trying to sound like a smarta$$, but 75mph on a two lane rural road is to fast anyway. Sure, you may be the best rider in the world, I'm not disputing that. All I am saying is that at 75,by the time you react, the distance you travel is greatly increased from say 55 or 60, and that may be all the time you needed to avoid some asshat acting stupid.
That would be "my" coping stratagy
Very valid point. I should probably mention that while I was over the speed limit, I was in a 65 zone. Nonetheless, point taken.

Lots of good suggestions here. Thank you all!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:56 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't start running brights all the time! A lot of us are shift workers and getting on in age.The road dissappears looking at brights,is that a good thing?There are too many absent minded drivers out there now that want to run them all the time.People are in too much of a hurry and no matter what you try it will not stop the idiots that need to pass with traffic coming, on hills,in curves,no matter.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:05 AM
qwispichkn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One winter mod for me was to put passing lamps on for more visabilty. Hope it works, because there are some idiots out there.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

99% of our riding is on two lane roads. So, yes, this happens WAY MORE than it should.

ALL the light in the world is NOT going to make the oncoming driver any more considerate or respectful, than farting at the same time.
IT is just more of the "ME" first, selfish syndrome.

We only live 6 miles from Mora. And in that distance, there is going to be one azzhat, that is gonna pull out to pass, with someone coming the other direction. It is almost a given. Makes no diff if we are caging it or scootin' it.
The 2nd worst up here? The folks who will pull out in front of ya, and then either go 45 or less, OR go 1/4 to 1/2 mile, and then wanna turn left, so ya have to stop behind 'em. Problem? They could have waited 10 -15 secs and had the WHOLE fuggin' road to they-selves, cuz there is no one behind ya as far as the eye can see, when they pulled out.

For us, up here in the stix, these two are worse than cell phones and soccer mom's. BUT ya gotta watch for them, too. They be yakkin' and jus' drift over the centerline, and send ya scramblin' for road surface space.

IMFUO, the very same thing that causes drivers to pull these stunts, is the very same thing that causes ppl to stand in the check out line, hangin' on their cell, holding up the whole line, cause their conversation is so dammt important. ME, ME, ME. The world can wait and make room for ME.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:18 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmmm,,,,,,,, how does,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SlOW,,, the FU@%,,DoWWnNN!!!

sound????

Old 02-07-2009, 10:47 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Originally Posted by GB_FXST
I ride a lot of rural two lane highways, and have noticed the increasingly common problem of oncoming traffic making un-safe passes in my lane. For example, today, I was forced to rapidly slow from 75 to 20 (and considered riding onto the soft shoulder) to avoid a head on collision with not 1, not 2, but 3 cars that came into my lane to pass.
You were doing 75 on a two lane highway? What was the speed limit? Maybe the oncoming cars were unable to judge your speed thinking that you were doing 55.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by electaRICK
hmmmm,,,,,,,, how does,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SlOW,,, the FU@%,,DoWWnNN!!!

sound????
Yes. As noted above, I was going too fast, 75 in a 65. There is absolutely no argument that a prudent approach is to ride slower (the speed limit), thereby allowing for more reaction time. This is a simple and easy solution to adopt. Although I must admit that I do enjoy the speed at times …

Still, there is the fundamental problem of oncoming traffic failing to recognize an oncoming lone motorcycle (or car). As noted by others, it may just be a fact of riding (and driving). It may just be that a combination of factors/strategies including vigilance, proper speed, lighting, lane position are all part of the solution.

It also interesting to note that this is a common problem to others too, regardless of vehicle.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:59 AM
pmedic433
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here the double yellow is merely a suggestion. In a curve close to my house a drunk tried to straigten out a curve and hit 2 bikers head on and the only reason he stopped is because one of the bikes was wedged under his truck. (both bikers are expected to make a full recovery)

Gumpster has it right! It is the all about me, cell phone talking, loud stereo, not paying attention azzhats that cause the trouble. Do the same to them and you would have thought you had shot their dog.

Fuggm!!!

Quick Reply: Oncoming traffic and un-safe passing