General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oncoming traffic and un-safe passing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 PM
looneycanuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karz10
I dunno, but I'm trying to think ahead also putting more light in the front...

Maybe a modulator on the headlight, either running on bright or at least dim...

W/ dim modulator, you can still run passing and fog lights stock, w/ a bright modulator, you may consider modding it so passing/fog lights still stay on, at least a lot of people on here talk about that...

Things to think about...
My headlight modulator works like a charm -- I get more attention from it on my Dyna than I do from the HID on my Street Glide.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:25 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rocket launchers..... I like that idea!!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
joromu
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edelux07, you avitar has a couple of great rocket launchers

Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I find lane position makes a bit of difference. Ride where the left wheel of a cage would ride for best visibility. Puts you right in front of a driver coming up from behind. Oncoming sees you better also. If you ride on the shoulder line you are next to invisible even if they did drive with their eyes open. I know when I am in my cage I notice bikes in the left wheel track way before anywhere else.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
I find lane position makes a bit of difference. Ride where the left wheel of a cage would ride for best visibility. Puts you right in front of a driver coming up from behind. Oncoming sees you better also. If you ride on the shoulder line you are next to invisible even if they did drive with their eyes open. I know when I am in my cage I notice bikes in the left wheel track way before anywhere else.

That is how I always ride on 2 lanes. I'm more visible to traffic, that is coming toward me and I can still swerve to the right, if need be. It is also sort of the same concept as city driving, where you are claiming your lane. If you ride to the right of your lane, a lot of morons in cages think it's okay to use the portion of your lane that you are not using.
Tom

Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Another new accessory, Chrome Rocket Launcher!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Funny you post this today because I was going to post a very similar topic.

Yesterday we were driving in the car from Vegas to Oregon. Out on Hwy 95 between Vegas and Reno, it's a 2 lane highway with a lot of simi truck traffic.

We were driving on a long, flat and straight section of the hwy, I could see a simi truck not too far coming the opposit direction. Then a pick-up truck pulled out to pass the truck. Obviously the pick-up was in my lane, heading right toward me. I already had my headlight on, so I flashed the high beams severa times. There was no way the guy in the pick up didn't see me, but he just kept on coming, never even trying to get back into his own land. I literally had to slam on my brakes, pull off into the dirt shoulder to avoid a head-on. The simi even pulled over as far as he could but the pick-up didn't care, he just kept on coming. When he passed me (while I'm over in the shoulder, he wasn't even passed the simi yet. The guy intentionally forced me to pull over and never even tried to get back over into his own lane. I'll tell you, if I'd had a rock, bottle or anything to throw....

Old 02-06-2009, 11:16 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A local HOG member was hit head on over the holidays. A 19 yr old was doing about 90 in a camero, ran up on a car and pulled out and hit Glenn head on. A lot of time in intensive care, coma, a lot of surgery, hips, legs, pelvic, and striping away the muscle due to infection. The DA took this case because there were other complaints about this guy speeding in the area many times. The bad thing about all of this is Glenn will never be the same, all because some dude did something stupid.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always ride with hi-beams and I have done the mod so my driving lights stay on with hi-beams.

I disagree with a couple of posters about lane position. I move around a lot in my lane but if a few vehicles are coming at me I usually move over to the right so I make sure the guys behind the lead vehicle can see me. I've seen too many instances where the idiot who is antsy to get going is taligating the vehicle in front of him and is so close that the car/truck in front of them is blocking their view of the oncoming traffic where I am. If I move over, I might be able to be seen better by these guys playing hide and seek.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Mighty MO
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a lot of 2 lane-agree with Rex about going to the right of the lane when there is oncoming traffic. In our hills and valleys every hilltop presents a new challenge, as their may be a car over the line as it tops a hill, plus if there is more than one car topping a hill opposite lane at the same time as you, the second car may be gunning for a pass (downhill is passing zone) long and short of it, the right side of the lane should be used for safety and visibility when topping hills and meeting traffic in passing situations even on flat ground.

Quick Reply: Oncoming traffic and un-safe passing