General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the XIEDs right for my situation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
stuey922
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the XIEDs right for my situation?

Unfortunately, I,like so many others, have recently lost my job. So a full stage 1 upgrade is out of the question for the time being. I have just bought a set rush slip-ons with a 2 inch baffle for my 08' crossbones. Since I can not afford a tuner at this time I was thinking of putting the XIEDs on my bike. Without changing anything else on the bike do you think this will let the bike run decent without damaging anything. I am not looking for more power out of the set up just a little more bark and hopefully a little cooler running.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xied's would be good for your situation. As long as you're not changing the air intake they will provide a lil pop in the throttle and cooler temps in traffic and around town. I have had them on 2 bikes and was happy with them, they do what they claim.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

Sounds like a plan. If you are interested I have a set that I used on my '08 before I went to the SERT. They are yours for $50.00 if you are interested. Drop me a line.

-Harry

Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stuey922, I'd say give doombuggy a PM. That's a good deal.

I've had XiEDs on my 08 Bob for the past 6000 miles. I have V&H slipons and, as yet, I've done nothing else for performance. The XiEDs do make a difference. This month I plan to have a stage 1 air cleaner plus the download installed. I will still run the XiEDs rather than go to a SERT etc. My thinking is that with the additional air flow and the minor remapping mods that the download provides that the enrichening from the XiEDs should continue to work just fine. Now if I tempted to do some racing, that would be a different story but at my age I'm just happy to be cruising.

Last edited by jbphoto; 02-04-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them on my 07 wg with rhinehart 2into1 and se aircleaner. they work great . (a free flow a.c. doesn't change the way the xieds work.) I see no need for a sert until a cam change or greater mod.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by farmerstu
I have them on my 07 wg with rhinehart 2into1 and se aircleaner. they work great . (a free flow a.c. doesn't change the way the xieds work.) I see no need for a sert until a cam change or greater mod.

While it is true that a free flow a/c does not change the way the xied's work they only help in closed loop. You are taking a risk running with open exhaust and a/c and no fuel management, the xied's are not helping in open loop. So having them makes no difference when you're cruising down the road.....but i'm no expert on anything, you should check with some pros.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 02-04-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:40 AM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run XIEDS on my 2008 superglide during the summer months, and run my bike without them in the winter because heat is not an issue...I have rush 2.0 slipons and it runs great either way [ stock air breather ]

Old 02-05-2009, 02:32 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

What's an XiED and can somebody give an example of a product name that fits this category of tuner?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Closed loop probably accounts for 80% of your riding. I have Rush muffles w/2 inch baffles and a JET Phase II AirStack. Bike ran good w/xieds. Got a SEST Pro, tweaked the VE tables and took the XIEDS off but I think I'm going to put them back on till I can get the bike tuned on a dyno.

The XIEDS are way to easy to plug and play install. They are jumpers with a resister inline that go between the O2 Sensors and the ECM. They recalibrate the output from the O2 sensors to cause the bike to run richer.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Low_Wider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
While it is true that a free flow a/c does not change the way the xied's work they only help in closed loop. You are taking a risk running with open exhaust and a/c and no fuel management, the xied's are not helping in open loop. So having them makes no difference when you're cruising down the road.....but i'm no expert on anything, you should check with some pros.
EZ,
As I understand the Harley ECM it is only during closed loop operation that it drives the A/F ratio to 14.7 where you can get your lean issues. When it goes open loop it's not sure where it's at so it makes some assumptions and makes the A/F ratio lower (not sure exactly how much lower) just to be "safe". So I don't think in this case of pipes and stock A/C it will be an issue.

Quick Reply: Are the XIEDs right for my situation?