General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the XIEDs right for my situation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock pipes and A/C setup. Would Xied help at all, maybe a cooler running motor, esp. in summer traffic? Any down side, other than maybe gas mileage?

Thanks,

Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
What's an XiED and can somebody give an example of a product name that fits this category of tuner?
Nightrider makes the IED I bought. It's not any kind of a programer all it is is a resistor that goes between the 02 sensors and the computor to make it think it's running leaner then it is and richens up the mixture. I've had the 02IEDs on my 08 FLHT for 6 months and love them. The 02 IEDs don't run quite as rich as the XIEDs I am stock ,mufflers and A.C. and it lowered the temperture a lot and also gave me better pick up and I can run in 6th gear at a lower speed and not feel like i'm lugging. Best 69 bucks I've ever spent on an upgrade.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
What's an XiED and can somebody give an example of a product name that fits this category of tuner?

XIED= Extreme Inline Enrichment Device .. Nightrider.com

Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Stock pipes and A/C setup. Would Xied help at all, maybe a cooler running motor, esp. in summer traffic? Any down side, other than maybe gas mileage?

Thanks,
3/4,
XIEDs can't hurt other than as you mention maybe mpg but guys have reported on this forum at most 1-2 mpg so have said no difference in mpg. On the upside you can search the forum as there has been a ton of discussion on XIEDs and all of it very positive for as you noted primarily helping bikes (especially touring) run cooler and some have noted as I did a little extra pep in the step.
A stock bike with either an A/C upgrade or pipes with XIEDs is good to address this issues noted above. It is only when you do both an A/C upgrade and pipes that you have to consider some additional fuel management, either Stage 1 download or any of the various fuel managment systems (PC5, SERT, V&H FuelPak, TMAX, etc.)

Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,817 Likes on 13,472 Posts

Think of the xieds as being similar to changing the low speed jet 1 size bigger in a carb,which richens the mixture at idle and partial throttle.I like mine as they make the motor sound happier.Bear in mind that if you are using slipons that have baffles you really don't have to change anything,the stock ecm will keep the mixture at stock levels.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

XIED'S are an inline enrichment devive sold by Night Rider do a search and you will find TONS of input

Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I beleive XIEDS should also have some benefit in open loop operation as well. Here is why; Having some background in Ford fuel injection systems, the computer makes adjustments based on the o2's on the fly during closed loop operation. The computer stores in memory the percentage it is having to adjust to get the desired A/F ratio. These are called fuel trims. I won't go into detail about these but basically to some extent, fuel trims are used to adjust a/f ratio during open loop operation.

Now if the XIED is adjusting the voltage signal from the o2's and basically telling the computer that it is running lean, and to richen the mixture. This should keep the fuel trims in a richened state as well, and thus adding fuel in open loop. To what extent I don't know, but for I would think for exhaust/intake mods I would think it should be enough.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 AM
hdrider.tx
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stuey922
Unfortunately, I,like so many others, have recently lost my job. So a full stage 1 upgrade is out of the question for the time being. I have just bought a set rush slip-ons with a 2 inch baffle for my 08' crossbones. Since I can not afford a tuner at this time I was thinking of putting the XIEDs on my bike. Without changing anything else on the bike do you think this will let the bike run decent without damaging anything. I am not looking for more power out of the set up just a little more bark and hopefully a little cooler running.
I've had good luck with the XIED'S on my bike. I checked my plugs a few times and the color is much better. My fuel mileage actually went up to a best of 42 from 38 previously. I also got the stage 1 download before the XIED's but you should be fine without. Any engine mods would call for a tuner. For a completely stock bike I think the XIED's or X14IED would work also. Keep an eye on the plugs and track fuel mileage. Just my opinion.

Last edited by hdrider.tx; 02-05-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Will IEDs or XIEDs cause a problem if you left them hooked up when taking it to the dealer for service? Will they claim the warranty is voided?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Will IEDs or XIEDs cause a problem if you left them hooked up when taking it to the dealer for service? Will they claim the warranty is voided?
Personally i would just take them off, takes all of 5 minutes to remove them and return the bike to stock. And certainly it would depend what type warranty work or service you are having done.I do all of my own servicing and annotate everything i do, keep receipts of oil and oil filter purchases etc, but if the bike needed some type warranty work i would just take em off.

Quick Reply: Are the XIEDs right for my situation?