General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

caliper and brake pad recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Focke66
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$500US for a caliper is crazy! That better come with a mechanic to put them on, a pizza to eat while you wait, and a chick to well, keep your mind off the $500.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:37 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

My e glide has 30,000 with stock pads,front rotors are warped ,so will have to replace soon,going back stock.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by softail04
I am confused
how fast do you guys want to stop??
my 14 std. will stop using both front and rear brake as fast as I want it to what is the problem with the stock brakes, what am I missing ??
all these questions are from a guy that has been riding for along time and even used to ride choppers that had no front brake so for me to use a front brake is a relative new experience..
just curious what the percieved problem is with the stock brakes I like mine fine
I use ebc organic and yes they are a little dusty and only last about 9 thou. miles

Personally I want to stop as fast as possible on a vehicle that offers me no protection from anything. The problem with the stock brakes is they require a lot of input from the rider to stop quickly. The new Brembo brakes on the touring bikes and the V-rods will stop you on a dime and require little input from the rider. From almost everyone I have ever talked to, they prefer brakes to be very responsive.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM
JROCKER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by softail04
I am confused
how fast do you guys want to stop??
my 14 std. will stop using both front and rear brake as fast as I want it to what is the problem with the stock brakes, what am I missing ??
all these questions are from a guy that has been riding for along time and even used to ride choppers that had no front brake so for me to use a front brake is a relative new experience..
just curious what the percieved problem is with the stock brakes I like mine fine
I use ebc organic and yes they are a little dusty and only last about 9 thou. miles
as fast as possible! within my budget. well if you have just now experienced a front brake you are not a very good reference as to how brakes work problems with stock pads, dusty i have whitewalls so dust is def. an issue. number one thing is material of the pads the tests prove they are superior over stock. iwould love to buy the rotors on lyndalls site but damn those babies are pricey. waiting on my new back tire so i can test them out

Old 03-30-2009, 06:14 PM
JROCKER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well not a whole lot different than stock pads, still dust, stopping power not all that noticeable difference, i cleaned the caliper pistons cleaned the **** outta the rotors and refilled the fluid and bled the brakes so............ hopefully they last longer than stock! doing calipers when i save the loot.