General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

caliper and brake pad recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Deccion
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think a blanket answer will keep you upright man. What bike are you riding and do you still have stock calipers?

If your on a modern H-D, then you have Brembo calipers which are fantastic. I dont care that they are stock (this is a huge deal to some people for some reason). The stigma from old days that stock suck is gone. Brembo is one of the best racing brake systems available and your modern Harley has them. Dont believe me? Do some research on Ducatti race bikes...

To repeat what the person before me said, the most important thing is to match the pads to the rotor.

Heres my set up just to give you an idea. I have a 06 Night Train. Which came stock with 1 Brembo system on the front wheel. I switched to a steel braided cable to limit the flexation effect (This is when the rubber compound of the front brake cable starts to weather and give when you apply the brakes, causing a mushy feeling). Then I went with a full floating rotor to limit the bindig on the front wheel. Then I matched a Kevlar composite pad for the new rotor.

I am not trying to insult anyones intelligence with this stuff. I just think that when it comes to stopping your *** at 70 mph when an old blue hair turns left in front of you, its more important to have what works, rather than what looks cool.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

++ on the Stock! 08 Ultra with the ABS stops on a dime and gives you $.09 change! Awesome! Haven't looked at the pads lately but 13k, loaded with gear, the OL on the back, and well above posted limits will haul it down in no time flat. Stops better than my other scoot with SBS pads, SS lines, and half the weight. As she pries herself out of the back of my head she will smack me lol

Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM
JROCKER
Tourer

Well i have polished aftermarket rotors braided lines, what pads do you think will work best, i don't have floating rotors and i really dont want to change them.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM
N4SIR
Advanced

Tried ebc organic and they went quick. Being a daily rider they did not even last a year. Did find out that Jireh has some great deals on rotors though. part # 90-761 is only $50 and is drilled for cooling and looks good too.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Deccion
Novice

Here man take a look at this website. http://www.motorcyclepads.com/

Even if you dont buy their pads, they post a ton of info you may want to know to make that best choice for what you think you need. They have a whole section dedicated to explaining friction ratings and all that engineering geek math.

Happy shopping.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by JROCKER
Well i have polished aftermarket rotors braided lines, what pads do you think will work best, i don't have floating rotors and i really dont want to change them.
The Lyndall Z pads

Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Lyndall Z Plus or Gold pads hands down. No brake dust, excellent stopping power and high mileage. My first 2 sets of stock pads were shot at 10K miles, the Lyndall Golds I have now have 17K on them and still have plenty of pad left. Well worth the extra bucks, especially if you count the labor saved between changes.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM
JROCKER
Tourer

Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback. lyndall it is.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Lyndall pads with PM calipers. No dust, the pads last a long time and the calipers stop very well. As far as I can see, the brakes are almost as important as the tires. Well worth the cash although My bike had the calipers on it when I purchased it. This was a big part of my decision.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

jrocker i have and older bike now a 86 fxr sold a o5 eglide that never had good brakes and this one was just crap then i got it. I bought 1 ,6 verible size piston piston caliper from J BRAKE with there pads and a new stock type rotor through Jerih for 200 plus 43and changed the brake line to a black braided and rebuilt the master. I now have a very strong 2 finger linear brake with no grabbyness. A stock rear with ebc gold replacememt pads, they are to touchy.

Quick Reply: caliper and brake pad recommendations