General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on negotiating on a new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009 | 03:13 PM
883 IRON
|
Tourer
Default Question on negotiating on a new Harley

I'm a newbe here, and have just started to read this great informational forum. I was scared off the Harley Dealership floors some years ago with exorbant second sticker prices, figured I'd buy later when the profit margins would get more reasonable and demand would not exceed the supply. I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Super Glide now, was at the dealer the other day and I've never saw so many new harleys under one roof but they still want almost 14 grand for a bike that has a base MSRP of $11,999. Anyone have any ideas of what a this bike should run me? They added theft, had a assembly and prep fee and a $350 destination fee. They were pushing Harley financing even after I said I was paying cash. I'm all about a good product for a fair price but I'm not hiring back the 1000 employees that they have let go single handedly.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Last edited by 883 IRON; 02-02-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2009 | 03:19 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I am 68 years old. In my life I have never seen an overpiced HD. They were always the right price.

Old 02-02-2009 | 03:32 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Around here msrp w/o freight and prep is quite doable. They'll even throw in a T shirt. Just politely tell them You *are* going to buy a black Super Glide and you'll go $12K plus whatever state taxes are due, no more. And if they say no, tell them you understand and *may* be back, but will be checking a few other dealers first. I'd be surprised if they let you walk.
Naturally options such as color, security, etc if you want them, need to be added to msrp

Old 02-02-2009 | 03:40 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member

have bought several harley's new over the years and bottom line they're spendy...doubt very seriously if they are raising prices to hire back laid off employees...just got back from going to my local dealer today and asked a long time sales person that has sold me a few over the years whythis particular dealership managed to be doing so well in spite of the harley problems...her reply to me was some dealerships have owners that are better at managing business than others...and i have always seen this dealer with people in it and shopping as if nothing was happening to the economy...I guess know your business and you can survive times that might be a bit tough

Last edited by 57RebelRocker; 02-02-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2009 | 03:43 PM
bloomington g
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 883 IRON
I'm a newbe here, and have just started to read this great informational forum. I was scared off the Harley Dealership floors some years ago with exorbant second sticker prices, figured I'd buy later when the profit margins would get more reasonable and demand would not exceed the supply. I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Super Glide now, was at the dealer the other day and I've never saw so many new harleys under one roof but they still want almost 14 grand for a bike that has a base MSRP of $11,999. Anyone have any ideas of what a this bike should run me? They added theft, had a assembly and prep fee and a $350 destination fee. They were pushing Harley financing even after I said I was paying cash. I'm all about a good product for a fair price but I'm not hiring back the 1000 employees that they have let go single handedly.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Do yourself a favor, and check out craigslist for motorcycles for sale in your general area. Plenty of used late model Dynas readily available, affordable, and many have had the basic performance upgrades already done to them. Of course, it is your perogative (and money)to pay MSRP or whatever the dealer is asking if you decide you absolutely need to buy a new bike.

Old 02-02-2009 | 03:50 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

my dealer knows, I spend,, he also knows I shop around, I get good deals or I walk,
That simple.

Old 02-02-2009 | 04:55 PM
Cockroach
Road Captain

I hate to tell you this, but all Harleys are overpriced for what you actually get. any smart Harley rider knows this and accepts this. ask yourself, what the bike means to you and you will have your answer

Old 02-02-2009 | 05:23 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

Just put in writing $1000 less then MSRP and if they take it good, if not walk out the door and they will call you in a day or two to accept your offer. There has to be another dealer close to you.

Old 02-02-2009 | 05:31 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Where on Earth do you live that a dealer is asking 2k over list. Here in NJ with a little work it's not hard to get a bike for 2k under list. I've done close to that on the last two bikes I've bought w/o even trying.

If that's the game dealers are playing in your area, I'd be buying used as someone else said.

Old 02-02-2009 | 06:16 PM
jagator
Road Master

Prep and Destination can go away with some work. May be able to get it below MSRP if the need to sell bikes. You may also see about discounts on parts and service. If you are able to go to another dealer try to get a quote from them as well. Nothing works better than when they know you can walk.

Quick Reply: Question on negotiating on a new Harley