General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on negotiating on a new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009 | 12:24 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master

Since I'm in the market as well, I have a sort of related question...

If I have one dealership pull my credit (through HDFS) and get a pre-approved loan (or at least an idea of what rate I'll get) does that carry over to every dealership I'm dealing with or does each dealership do a seperate HDFS write-up and credit check?

Old 02-03-2009 | 02:26 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

offer them msrp without the set up or freight, if they don't have it they can't sell it. Make an all cash offer without prep. If they want to sell bikes they will not let you leave.

Old 02-03-2009 | 02:36 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Michael G
There are two local HD dealers in our area. I won't mention names, but one of them is off 217 near the Washington Square Mall, and the other is in Gladstone (both in Oregon). I only got interested in trading the Sportster because of the deal from the MOCO. I decided on the Dyna Lowrider.
The first one held firmly to the MSRP and also wanted $900 for assembly. After about 2.5 hrs of negotiations, they still hadn't budged so I went to the other place. I ended up getting the Lowrider that I wanted for $14,500 OTD. This was over $3000 less than the first place. There are dealers who are willing to work with you and recognize that these financial times are precarious. Needless to say, Latus (whoops... did I say their name?) earned my business and support.
Are you saying that you got MSRP for your Sportster as a tradein? Plus you paid under MSRP for the new bike?.
If so, that was too good to pass up.

When I saw that tradein deal the MoCo was offering I assumed you'd also have to pay at least MSRP on the new bike.

Old 02-03-2009 | 06:12 PM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

shop around, I did, I even had one dealership fax their price quote to me over to another harley dealership.... got it for MSRP + Docking Fee and taxes, plus free extended warranty (not sure how good that is). They advertised beat any price or get 500.00 in gear, I was determined to get the 500.00 in gear. Got the Bike instead.

Old 02-03-2009 | 10:40 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by big cahuna
What do they give ya when you buy a Chevy or a ford?.,,
I've never paid MSRP for a Ford or Chevy, but I'll bet if I did they would give me a T-shirt.

Old 02-04-2009 | 01:05 PM
Michael G
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Are you saying that you got MSRP for your Sportster as a tradein? Plus you paid under MSRP for the new bike?.
If so, that was too good to pass up.

When I saw that tradein deal the MoCo was offering I assumed you'd also have to pay at least MSRP on the new bike.

Yep... I got full MSRP on the Sportster. I originally thought I would have to pay MSRP on the Dyna, but then realized that it was the MOCO that was writing the dealer a check for the difference on the Sportster trade-in.

I feel it was a deal too good to pass up... which is about the only way I could justify spending the money in these financial times.

The more I ride the Dyna, the less I miss the Sportster. It may take a plastic surgeon to get the smile off of my face.

Old 02-05-2009 | 02:38 AM
fr8mover
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bryanp
NO suprise to me. Here in KC, i know a certain i wont mention by name, but Gail's Harley Davidson (oops, hate when i slip up) was asking 3K over MSRP for a Nightrain. That was 60 days ago and i simply told the salesman good luck and left.

If you havent done it already go to Central HD I just bought mine and my wifes bikes there and drove 75 miles to get there great people solid msrp on price but they hook you up with a real nice gift card to where you can buy some riding gear new helmet etc super nice guys ask for Jerry

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:01 AM
Bryanp
Tourer

Originally Posted by fr8mover
If you havent done it already go to Central HD I just bought mine and my wifes bikes there and drove 75 miles to get there great people solid msrp on price but they hook you up with a real nice gift card to where you can buy some riding gear new helmet etc super nice guys ask for Jerry

your are correct sir. I drove out there the day i walked out of Gails, dont know the guys name i talked to, but his price right at MSRP. That and the people there seemed super nice.

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:15 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

You should be able to find a used 07 superglide for $9K. Look around some.

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:38 AM
hdrider.tx
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
Since I'm in the market as well, I have a sort of related question...

If I have one dealership pull my credit (through HDFS) and get a pre-approved loan (or at least an idea of what rate I'll get) does that carry over to every dealership I'm dealing with or does each dealership do a seperate HDFS write-up and credit check?
It was my experience that each dealer would pull a separate credit report. It won't ding your fico score very much if they are all done in a short time period. You have to remember that the dealer can legally jack up the interest rate from what they are actually quoted. Added profit! Last Jan. lived in Houston 10 minutes from dealer and ended up buying 45 minutes southwest of Houston. Exact same bike was $800 less, exact same loan from HDFS 1% less interest and got a $500 gift card. You have to shop around, even for the loan.

Quick Reply: Question on negotiating on a new Harley