General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on negotiating on a new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009 | 07:59 AM
merdahl
Road Master

I'm self insured. Given what they want to cover all the electronic goods, cars, bikes, etc you buy, there must be a profit in it. Occasionally you get stuck, but I think I come out ahead.

Old 02-03-2009 | 09:07 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

Try this:

the way to buy your hog at below msrp is simple: the first thing to do is choose a dealer,the second thing is to show up evey week for 2 to 3 hours and ask all kinds of questions wiether they are relavent or not(in fact the stupider the better)the third thing to do is make sure that you sit on evry bike that they have on the showroom(this tactic works well when the salesman wants to follow you around)The fourth thing to do is to stand the bike up and pull the kick stand in(this makes them nervous has hell exspecially when you set the bike down and act like you forgot the kickstand by yelling wooooooha and immediately stand the bike back up)The fith thing to do is to set the kick stand down and exit the bike by making sure you drag your feet on the seat or by making sure to scuff the rear fender(this tactic always puts a grimaged look on thier faces)the sixth thing to do is to find one of thier bikes that is truely packed in by other bikes, then you go over and stand this baby up by carefully jocking the bike back and forth until you can get the handle bars unlocked from the other bikes(this manuver should only be acomplished by veteran riders,not suggested for posers)now you are guaranteed to have evryones eye on you, so then it is time to put the bike down you must do this by yourself because no one in the whole friggen building wants to take part in a whole bunch of bikes hitting the ground, so they will let you be and watch has you maticulausly jockey the bike back into a safe position!!!please take note that after this step they will ask you never to do that again, and then they will say to you if you want to check that bike out just ask someone and we will pull it out for you, You then reply by saying yes i like that bike would you please pullit out so i can look at it better(you see know there going to have to move a half dozen biikes out of the way) when they finally get the ld girl out where you can see it you quickly reply i really dont like the paint n ow that i can see it better and you move on to your next bike!!

Then do this:

NOw at this point in time i can guantee you that everyone in the building knows who you are except thier finance man or women so i suggest that you pick out the dealers most expensive bike and do some research with thier loan man to come up with a way that you could afford it(this usually takes at least an hour if you keep adjusting years to pay for and what your new payment would be with the change in the intrest rate) know when all is said and done you have to say!!yea no: i just dont think that i can afford that much bike.Maybe i should look at different models(now the finance man or women takes a big breath and a long sye, drops thier pencil and calmly ask well!!! what other model would you be intrested in?(know this is were you got em)you very politly smile and say well thanks for your time but im kinda tired and need to go home and rest, but thanks again for all your help.Now the trick is to come back every week for at least 3 to 4 months and repeat all the steps menitoned above and they will no doughtabley say make me an offer at the end of this period and you should be able to knock 1000 dollars off msrp. this strategy has worked for me twice now!!!!!! work hard and you will be rewarded

Old 02-03-2009 | 09:13 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ken thompson
Try this:

the way to buy your hog at below msrp is simple: the first thing to do is choose a dealer,the second thing is to show up evey week for 2 to 3 hours and ask all kinds of questions wiether they are relavent or not(in fact the stupider the better)the third thing to do is make sure that you sit on evry bike that they have on the showroom(this tactic works well when the salesman wants to follow you around)The fourth thing to do is to stand the bike up and pull the kick stand in(this makes them nervous has hell exspecially when you set the bike down and act like you forgot the kickstand by yelling wooooooha and immediately stand the bike back up)The fith thing to do is to set the kick stand down and exit the bike by making sure you drag your feet on the seat or by making sure to scuff the rear fender(this tactic always puts a grimaged look on thier faces)the sixth thing to do is to find one of thier bikes that is truely packed in by other bikes, then you go over and stand this baby up by carefully jocking the bike back and forth until you can get the handle bars unlocked from the other bikes(this manuver should only be acomplished by veteran riders,not suggested for posers)now you are guaranteed to have evryones eye on you, so then it is time to put the bike down you must do this by yourself because no one in the whole friggen building wants to take part in a whole bunch of bikes hitting the ground, so they will let you be and watch has you maticulausly jockey the bike back into a safe position!!!please take note that after this step they will ask you never to do that again, and then they will say to you if you want to check that bike out just ask someone and we will pull it out for you, You then reply by saying yes i like that bike would you please pullit out so i can look at it better(you see know there going to have to move a half dozen biikes out of the way) when they finally get the ld girl out where you can see it you quickly reply i really dont like the paint n ow that i can see it better and you move on to your next bike!!

Then do this:

NOw at this point in time i can guantee you that everyone in the building knows who you are except thier finance man or women so i suggest that you pick out the dealers most expensive bike and do some research with thier loan man to come up with a way that you could afford it(this usually takes at least an hour if you keep adjusting years to pay for and what your new payment would be with the change in the intrest rate) know when all is said and done you have to say!!yea no: i just dont think that i can afford that much bike.Maybe i should look at different models(now the finance man or women takes a big breath and a long sye, drops thier pencil and calmly ask well!!! what other model would you be intrested in?(know this is were you got em)you very politly smile and say well thanks for your time but im kinda tired and need to go home and rest, but thanks again for all your help.Now the trick is to come back every week for at least 3 to 4 months and repeat all the steps menitoned above and they will no doughtabley say make me an offer at the end of this period and you should be able to knock 1000 dollars off msrp. this strategy has worked for me twice now!!!!!! work hard and you will be rewarded
Do you even have a dealer on Nantucket?

Old 02-03-2009 | 09:32 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 883 IRON
Thanks a bunch for taking your time to answer my question and the offer of all the great ideas to help me through my new bike negotiations.
I'll take the many good points and arm my arsenal, god help the salesman now,lol. You guys probably saved me enough on the purchase to get some good riding gear.
Another question, what do you folks thing of extended warranty programs?

Thanks again,
Steve
I never buy extended warranties and most if not all consumer advocates tell us they aren't a wise decision financially.

But you'd never convince the guy who's engine blows up a week after his warranty runs out.

I see them more as a peace of mind thing. If you're not mechanically inclined and don't want to worry about big ticket repairs an extended warranty may be for you.

Old 02-03-2009 | 10:10 AM
883 IRON
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ken thompson
Try this:

Then do this:

LMAO!!
I get it, be kind of fun acting like the bumbling Jerry Lewis. Great read.

Old 02-03-2009 | 10:11 AM
883 IRON
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
I never buy extended warranties and most if not all consumer advocates tell us they aren't a wise decision financially.

But you'd never convince the guy who's engine blows up a week after his warranty runs out.

I see them more as a peace of mind thing. If you're not mechanically inclined and don't want to worry about big ticket repairs an extended warranty may be for you.
I never bought them for new autos, majority of them are all profit, but didnt know on the Harleys. THX.

Old 02-03-2009 | 10:37 AM
Bryanp
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Where on Earth do you live that a dealer is asking 2k over list. Here in NJ with a little work it's not hard to get a bike for 2k under list. I've done close to that on the last two bikes I've bought w/o even trying.

If that's the game dealers are playing in your area, I'd be buying used as someone else said.

NO suprise to me. Here in KC, i know a certain i wont mention by name, but Gail's Harley Davidson (oops, hate when i slip up) was asking 3K over MSRP for a Nightrain. That was 60 days ago and i simply told the salesman good luck and left.

Old 02-03-2009 | 10:52 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

There's some killer deals on used scoots right now. Shop around. If you are dead set on going to the dealer for a new one, I'd lock in on $12,500. You should be able to find one. Dealers are hurting right now, and even though they're trying to squeeze you, you need to stand firm on what you'll pay, then walk. You might be surprised what happens when you say this is what I'll pay, no more, I've got the cash, if you don't want the deal I'll go to someone that does. And then be prepared to walk....

Old 02-03-2009 | 11:34 AM
Uncle Fester
Tourer

There's really no point in buying new from a dealer, unless they're running very good specials. You can find all kinds of good deals on barely-used bikes from people who bought during the good times and now can't afford it. Peruse cycletrader or eBay and you'll see lots of '08's and '09's with less than 1000 miles on the clock.

If you are going to buy new, then wait until the '10 models are unveiled this summer. Once dealers start taking delivery of '10's, they'll be eager to get rid of their remaining '09 stock before they have to return it at a loss. I got a nice deal on my XBones that way - straight MSRP, no fees, plus a couple of tshirts and hats. A friend of mine held out on his until they threw in a paint set at 30% off, plus no labor fees to install it.

Do your research and be willing to drive a ways to get the best deal. COllect the sales dept email addresses of every dealer you'd be willing to drive to and start firing off emails. "I'm looking for this bike, in these colors, what can you offer?" At the very least, if your local stealer isn't budging, you can always throw in the "well, Bob's HD is offering me this same bike at $1000 less. You sure you can't match that?"

It's a buyer's market right now. If they won't sell you the bike you want at the price you want, someone else will. Be willing to exercise your right to walk away if it's not the deal you want.

Old 02-03-2009 | 12:02 PM
Michael G
Intermediate

There are two local HD dealers in our area. I won't mention names, but one of them is off 217 near the Washington Square Mall, and the other is in Gladstone (both in Oregon). I only got interested in trading the Sportster because of the deal from the MOCO. I decided on the Dyna Lowrider.
The first one held firmly to the MSRP and also wanted $900 for assembly. After about 2.5 hrs of negotiations, they still hadn't budged so I went to the other place. I ended up getting the Lowrider that I wanted for $14,500 OTD. This was over $3000 less than the first place. There are dealers who are willing to work with you and recognize that these financial times are precarious. Needless to say, Latus (whoops... did I say their name?) earned my business and support.

Quick Reply: Question on negotiating on a new Harley