General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on negotiating on a new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009 | 09:32 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I have never paid MSRP for a bike. Go to the HD website and find the dealer locator and start calling around. You will get one for at least $1000 under MSRP.

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:29 PM
tonov12
Cruiser

Shoot, I started with 5 different dealers in the state. The nearest one to me is 50 mi. and they wouldn't budge off of MSRP. The salesman specifically told me that Harley doesn't allow dealers to sell less than MSRP or they get some kind of punishment! I kinda chuckled, and told him to throw in all the fees and stuff and I'd walk out paying MSRP + tax and he laughed at me. I called the next closest dealer and a couple that were a few more hundred miles away. One that was 160 mi. away wouldn't budge even when told I was working with other dealers. The one 100 mi. away was at least talking to me, said they wouldn't be beat no matter what but wouldn't give me a solid number. It literally took me 2 weeks to get actual out the door prices from these guys. They were all proud of the fact that they sold at MSRP, but left off all the fees they tacked on, $1,000 to $1500 was the avg. I got my guy down to MSRP out the door (which was about $1800 off where we started) but then they couldn't get the bike I wanted without wheels and security. Long story short they just threw in the security too, so thats the "few hundred" under MSRP I got. For some of the prices I've heard of people paying around here...I got a damn steal! Well, at least I can live with it!

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:54 PM
883 IRON
|
Tourer

Thanks a bunch for taking your time to answer my question and the offer of all the great ideas to help me through my new bike negotiations.
I'll take the many good points and arm my arsenal, god help the salesman now,lol. You guys probably saved me enough on the purchase to get some good riding gear.
Another question, what do you folks thing of extended warranty programs?

Thanks again,
Steve

Old 02-03-2009 | 12:17 AM
pigpipes
Cruiser

There is a dealer just north of me with a few '08s left. He mentioned the other day that the prices would be REAL right. Don't know where you live , but it might be worth a lil' drive.

Good luck,
Steve

Attached Thumbnails Question on negotiating on a new Harley-dscf1554.jpg  
Old 02-03-2009 | 12:50 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by big cahuna
What do they give ya when you buy a Chevy or a ford?.,,
My wife got a blanket when she bought her Saab.

You should be paying less than MSRP now and no freight or set-up. If you can't get that deal than wait. They will get more desperate when it starts to warm up and they still aren't moving bikes.

If you own a retail business this year might be more about keeping the lights on than trying to make a profit.

Old 02-03-2009 | 02:38 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Not going to read through all the post. Shop around--let your fingers do the walking. Last time I was looking for a new HD--the prices were very different at different dealers for the same bike. Buy what you want at the best price you can get.

Old 02-03-2009 | 03:35 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

Just like going to a doctor son, get a second and third opinion.

Old 02-03-2009 | 03:37 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Interesting Thread Can't add a lot except if a Dealer knows you are there to buy if the price is right they will usually deal .. Did for me anyway .. Knowing what you want and also a little about what are truly selling for does make a difference .. Have seen trade in used 2008's listed at more than what I bought mine for new..

Old 02-03-2009 | 05:07 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Half the fun of buying a new vehicle is making the salespeople earn their keep.Bartering is the fun part.Always use at least 2 dealerships and work them against each other.

Old 02-03-2009 | 07:14 AM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

Depends on how much you ride for an extended warranty. If you put on 10000/year everything that could go wrong will by 2 years, if it sits in the garage and looks pretty you might want to extend the warranty just to cover when you actually put the miles on.

Generally, I don't get the warranty. Usually costs more than the possible one large repair you might need.

Quick Reply: Question on negotiating on a new Harley