General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on negotiating on a new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009 | 06:20 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Maintainance contracts and extended warranties are also a negotiable item. Wish I had known that 2 1/2 years ago.....

Old 02-02-2009 | 06:25 PM
gkvette
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 883 IRON
I'm a newbe here, and have just started to read this great informational forum. I was scared off the Harley Dealership floors some years ago with exorbant second sticker prices, figured I'd buy later when the profit margins would get more reasonable and demand would not exceed the supply. I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Super Glide now, was at the dealer the other day and I've never saw so many new harleys under one roof but they still want almost 14 grand for a bike that has a base MSRP of $11,999. Anyone have any ideas of what a this bike should run me? They added theft, had a assembly and prep fee and a $350 destination fee. They were pushing Harley financing even after I said I was paying cash. I'm all about a good product for a fair price but I'm not hiring back the 1000 employees that they have let go single handedly.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Steve, I traded last Saturday for a new 2009 Dyna FXDC with a $12,999 MSRP. My trade-in was an 08 1200XLC Sportster, worth $10,175 trade-in under the Sportster Guaranteed Free Ride promotion. I paid $1799 plus t,t,and t. "Out the door" was $1990 cash. So yes, they will trade. My dealer is Seminole Harley in Sanford , Fl. I understand they were #1 in sales last month for a single store dealer.
They seem to "get it" about the economy and are pretty aggressive on the sales floor. Good luck with your trade.
AG

Old 02-02-2009 | 06:35 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Fair market value is not neccessarily the same as fair market price. Price is what a dealer will ask for a product. Value is what your money can buy in the open market. What you have to do is check out what other dealers (in your area) are selling the same bike for (or as close as possible)....And make the best deal. ..and just do it already!

Hagling over a price for days, months ... years .... Is time wasted ... You could have been out riding already!

Old 02-02-2009 | 06:35 PM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior

I agree.

Originally Posted by BigJfxdwg
Just put in writing $1000 less then MSRP and if they take it good, if not walk out the door and they will call you in a day or two to accept your offer. There has to be another dealer close to you.

Old 02-02-2009 | 07:22 PM
wolfshead1
Tourer

Try this,know what you want, model, color etc.Find the MSRP.Total what acc. you want at the time of possession or within 30days of possession.Find out MSRP of extended warranty,Tshirts coat anything else you want.

Get the total but mark each item on a list. Find all fees taxes lic. etc.Let dealer know that frt. and prep. and any other "fees" than state and title are off the table.If you get your price and get free install or 1st service for signing now is a good thing.

My goal would be the bike,installed acc. at time of possession,extended warranty and first service.Bike would be MSRP-8%, acc. would be MSRP-25% free install.Any acc. bought in 30days would be MSRP-25%.Ext. warranty would be MSRP-25% or forget it for now.

Print this plan and leave it with your dealer and visit several before St Pattys day.Email same to dealers within a days drive.Mention you have your own financing but ask what the most attractive rate is available.

With times as they are and as wonderfully made as Harleys are today.Fly and buy and ride it home.You can also get it shipped safely for a few hundred honest.

Hope this helps

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:12 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Just put in writing $1000 less then MSRP and if they take it good, if not walk out the door and they will call you in a day or two to accept your offer.
Just keep in mind that many WILL let you walk and won't call you back when you make offers like this. You may find a dealer willing to do that but you might have to drive. I made offers like that to some local dealers. They basically said thanks for calling.

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:26 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Where on Earth do you live that a dealer is asking 2k over list. Here in NJ with a little work it's not hard to get a bike for 2k under list. I've done close to that on the last two bikes I've bought w/o even trying.

If that's the game dealers are playing in your area, I'd be buying used as someone else said.
Agreed, Im in NJ both new HDs I've bought were well under MSRP. Frankly, alot of it has to do with location and length of the riding season. I was visiting a client in Las Vegas last winter, they were asking $21,000.00 for the 105th Wide Glide. Longer season = higher demand = higher prices

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:40 PM
tonov12
Cruiser

Agreed. I think it depends on where you are. I wished I lived somewhere where they were doing $2000 under MSRP. It took me two weeks or haggling to get my scoot barely under MSRP. I was working 3 different dealers within a couple hour drive from me. I was able to get the deal I was looking for plus 25% off parts with free install and a T-shirt! Course I didn't have the cash for the parts deal so that was a waste. They still wouldn't budge on the prepaid service and stuff.

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:49 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer

Originally Posted by tonov12
I was able to get the deal I was looking for plus 25% off parts with free install and a T-shirt!
Is it just me or is it hilarious that they will (sometimes) throw in a t-shirt when you spend $15,000 + on a bike? Don't get me wrong, my dealership, Legend's HD in Roxbury, NJ, have treated me great and I would highly recomend them, it's just funny when a purchase of thousands gets you that free hunk of cotten.

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:57 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

What do they give ya when you buy a Chevy or a ford?.,,

Quick Reply: Question on negotiating on a new Harley