Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imitation is the best form of flattery

When did it begin. . . this phenomenon of the other makers copying the Harley look, trying to get the Harley feel and sound?

The end of the 'eighties? In the 'nineties" Earlier?

How do we feel about these bikes? I remember going to a motorcycle show in Ft. Worth about fifteen months ago and seeing and sitting on all these bikes so many trying to be twins and big twins, and falling way short of the mark. When I got to the Harley display it was like coming into a safe harbor. There was the real thing.

In general I'm a tolerant sort, and I live and let live. I even wave at the Yamahas, Hondas and Suzukis et al as they roll down the road going in the opposite direction. But I admit I really do feel as if I'm riding the real deal and . . .they're not.

Will I roast in Hell?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong and I fully expect to be quickly corrected if not, but I think the 1982 V45 Magna was the first attempt at anyone trying to copy the Harley look as we know it today. Only reason I remember that is because I bought one for that reason. Again, I could be wrong, but as I remember it, those were not some of Harley-Davidson's better days as well which was a factor when I bought it. I think I bought the right bike back then, and I know I have the right bike now.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master

When d

Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Different strokes for different folks.
what pleases me may not please some one else.
Some think like you and many more do. In my opinion most that dislike Harley's in a generally speaking have not either owned or rode one. I mean ride for a while to get the feel of one.
I also have a Honda VTX 1800(I like V-Twins) and really like it for a different reason, but that is apples to oranges.
It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.
Just keep your attitude at home is all I ask
Jim

Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

There have been any number of copies made from one manufacturer to the next over the last century and Harley is not without fault here too. Sure, engines will differ and suspensions will differ to some extent but the fact remains there are only so many ways to build a motorcycle so there will always be similarities. At one time Harley went so far as to attempt to patent their sound but that didn't work. They tried running off with the Sportster name in Mexico and lost huge on that one because the name was already owned by someone else. Now they pay a percentage of every Sportster sold in that country. I didn't buy a Softail Deluxe because I felt the Yamaha Roadstar was a better buy all around and I still think so. This isn't to say that the paint or the fit and finish wasn't better on the Softail but it sure wasn't $5,000 better. I bought my XL1200R because it was they best bike in it's class and it was my third Sporty overall.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 PM
sacdog51
Advanced

A V-twin by any other name is not a Harley. I have nothing against the Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's... they are good bikes for what they are. Harley carries a history and mystique that the others don't have. Glad I ride one....

Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 PM
f2titan
Cruiser

The Yamaha Virago was the first V-Twin-powered cruiser-style motorcycle produced by a Japanese manufacturer, as well as one of the earliest mass-produced motorcycles with a single shock rear suspension. Originally sold with a 750 cc engine in 1981, Yamaha soon added 500 cc and 920 cc versions.

The bike was redesigned in 1984, switching from a rear mono-shock to a dual-shock design, and adding a tear-drop shaped gas tank. That year, Harley-Davidson, fearful of the inroads the Virago and other new Japanese cruiser-style motorcycles, pushed for a tariff on imported bikes over 700 cc. Yamaha replaced the 750 cc motor with 699 cc version to avoid the tariff, while the 920 cc engine grew to 1000 cc, and later 1100 cc. In the late 1980s a 250 cc Virago was added. A short production of 125 cc was also manufactured. [Yamaha made a XV125, XV250, XV400, XV500, XV535, XV700, XV750, XV1000/TR1, XV1100. The XV400 being the rarest of the breed.]

The larger-displacement Viragos were eventually phased out of production, replaced by the V-Star and Road Star series of motorbikes. The last motorcycle to bear the Virago name was the 2007 Virago 250. For 2008 it was renamed to the V-Star 250.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:38 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Le Gras
When did it begin. . . this phenomenon of the other makers copying the Harley look, trying to get the Harley feel and sound?
I always love these threads. It's kind of like revisionist versions of history. If you keep repeating to yourself something is true then it must be true.

Please take some time to study motorcycle history a little closer. You will be amazed at how little "innovation" Harley has been involved with. While they make a great bike the "real deal" was designed and produced elsewhere long before HD got into the mix.

Here's a few good books for you ...

Motorcycle: Evolution, Design, Passion by Mick Walker
The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle by Peter Henshaw

Now, back to the point ... I hate to burst your bubble but Harley was not even close to creating the "original" ... no matter which style or design you look at. Here's a few facts for you ...

Hildebrand & Wolfmüller introduced the first commercially produced motorized bike in 1894.

Harley used more than two dozen patented designs by Hildebrand & Wolfmüller.

By 1896 American inventor E.J. Pennington coined the term "motor cycle" to describe his motorized bicycle. The term was adopted by manufacturers all over the world. By 1903 there were more than 125 manufacturers of "motor cycles" around the word, including one in Milwaukee named Harley-Davidson.

By 1903 (the year HD produced their first bike) Triumph had produced and sold more than 500 motorcycles in the US alone. Harley would not hit that number for years.

It was actually Indian that developed and patented the "Diamond Frame" that Harley later copied.

Speaking of Indian, they sold their first bike almost 2 years before Harley and had the design for a V-Twin almost 5 years before HD. They also produced their first V-Twin in 1906, 3 years before HD introduced their version.

The end of the 'eighties? In the 'nineties" Earlier?
The cruiser design had been around from at least 40 different manufacturers in Europe, US, and other parts of the world since before WWII. Funny thing is that the French car manufacturer Citroen had the same V-Twin design for one of their cars. The V-Twin design had been around since the last of the 19th century (1897) and a twin cylinder motorcycle was on design boards as early as 1882.

As for the Japanese designs ... they were actually copying Triumph, BSA, and similar British models long before they went into the cruiser market. The in-line 4 cylinder design by Honda in the 1960s was the most revolutionary design of the century.

The adoption of the V-Twin had been done by Honda as early as 1964, but it only saw limited interest as a commercial success. Consumers of the 1970s and into the 1980s preferred the smoother running in-line designs.

By the mid-80s "nostalgia" and an aggressive marketing campaign by HD saw the revival of the V-Twin design.

How do we feel about these bikes?
This part of "we" is pretty happy with the whole thing. The engineering changes and improvements coming from Great Britain, Italy, Germany, and even Japan helped make the "modern" Harley an attractive bike again. Harley used design and production processes that were used in other countries, which in turn improved HD production. We can thank the Japanese auto industry for production line improvements that helped HD stay competitive. Had Harley stayed with the old system the manufacturer likely wouldn't exist today.

I remember going to a motorcycle show in Ft. Worth about fifteen months ago and seeing and sitting on all these bikes so many trying to be twins and big twins, and falling way short of the mark. When I got to the Harley display it was like coming into a safe harbor. There was the real thing.
Really? You mean they had a 1906 Indian there? That was the original "real thing" ... predates the HD v-twin by 3 years.

But I admit I really do feel as if I'm riding the real deal and . . .they're not.
Just keep telling yourself that.

Last edited by doc_cj; 02-01-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM
sacdog51
Advanced

Originally Posted by doc_cj
I always love these threads. It's kind of like revisionist versions of history. If you keep repeating to yourself something is true then it must be true.

Please take some time to study motorcycle history a little closer. You will be amazed at how little "innovation" Harley has been involved with. While they make a great bike the "real deal" was designed and produced elsewhere long before HD got into the mix.

Here's a few good books for you ...

Motorcycle: Evolution, Design, Passion by Mick Walker
The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle by Peter Henshaw

Now, back to the point ... I hate to burst your bubble but Harley was not even close to creating the "original" ... no matter which style or design you look at. Here's a few facts for you ...

Hildebrand & Wolfmüller introduced the first commercially produced motorized bike in 1894.

Harley used more than two dozen patented designs by Hildebrand & Wolfmüller.

By 1896 American inventor E.J. Pennington coined the term "motor cycle" to describe his motorized bicycle. The term was adopted by manufacturers all over the world. By 1903 there were more than 125 manufacturers of "motor cycles" around the word, including one in Milwaukee named Harley-Davidson.

By 1903 (the year HD produced their first bike) Triumph had produced and sold more than 500 motorcycles in the US alone. Harley would not hit that number for years.

It was actually Indian that developed and patented the "Diamond Frame" that Harley later copied.

Speaking of Indian, they sold their first bike almost 2 years before Harley and had the design for a V-Twin almost 5 years before HD. They also produced their first V-Twin in 1906, 3 years before HD introduced their version.

The cruiser design had been around from at least 40 different manufacturers in Europe, US, and other parts of the world since before WWII. Funny thing is that the French car manufacturer Citroen had the same V-Twin design for one of their cars. The V-Twin design had been around since the last of the 19th century (1897) and a twin cylinder motorcycle was on design boards as early as 1882.

As for the Japanese designs ... they were actually copying Triumph, BSA, and similar British models long before they went into the cruiser market. The in-line 4 cylinder design by Honda in the 1960s was the most revolutionary design of the century.

The adoption of the V-Twin had been done by Honda as early as 1964, but it only saw limited interest as a commercial success. Consumers of the 1970s and into the 1980s preferred the smoother running in-line designs.

By the mid-80s "nostalgia" and an aggressive marketing campaign by HD saw the revival of the V-Twin design.

This part of "we" is pretty happy with the whole thing. The engineering changes and improvements coming from Great Britain, Italy, Germany, and even Japan helped make the "modern" Harley an attractive bike again. Harley used design and production processes that were used in other countries, which in turn improved HD production. We can thank the Japanese auto industry for production line improvements that helped HD stay competitive. Had Harley stayed with the old system the manufacturer likely wouldn't exist today.

Really? You mean they had a 1906 Indian there? That was the original "real thing" ... predates the HD v-twin by 3 years.

Just keep telling yourself that.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.
Vinny Gambini: Thank you, sir.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Overruled.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

Doc cj +++++ That is the best response that I have heard to the myth's that get past on. I like collecting and history of motorcycles. It is not just about a brand. How we got to this point in time is interesting and it took all the brands and individuals to contribute to what we have today.

We even owe Telsa for inventing the ignition system to run gasoline engines in the late 1890's. He also invented the alternators.

There are racers, engineers, designers, builders, backers with money, promoters and writers who have made contributions to our world of motorcycles over the last 100 years. Many of them are legendary.

It is so wrong to think that one brand is all there is about motorcycling. That is an uninformed and narrow minded outlook.

Quick Reply: Imitation is the best form of flattery