General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Motorcycles" for $400, Alex.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:29 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by doc_cj
I always love these threads. It's kind of like revisionist versions of history. If you keep repeating to yourself something is true then it must be true.

Please take some time to study motorcycle history a little closer. You will be amazed at how little "innovation" Harley has been involved with. While they make a great bike the "real deal" was designed and produced elsewhere long before HD got into the mix.
ya see Doc... there ya go... taking a perfectly good rant, and ruining it, by bringing in facts....

couldn't have said it better

+1

Old 02-02-2009, 07:19 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratster
I could be wrong and I fully expect to be quickly corrected if not, but I think the 1982 V45 Magna was the first attempt at anyone trying to copy the Harley look as we know it today. Only reason I remember that is because I bought one for that reason. Again, I could be wrong, but as I remember it, those were not some of Harley-Davidson's better days as well which was a factor when I bought it. I think I bought the right bike back then, and I know I have the right bike now.
I had a 1983 V45 Magna. Paid $3,300 for it new. Sold it in 2007 for $3,000. It was a great bike.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 AM
bruder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a kick out of the harley bashers who run out and buy a harley look a like and then do everything possible to make it look and sound like a harley.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Good read Doc, Thank You

Also we cannot forget the contributions of all the individuals who customize bikes. IMO they are the true innovators of the styles we see today.

Last edited by piasspj; 02-02-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

gawd I hate winter when these posts come out. I feel ashamed for even posting a reply to it and moving it back up to the top instead of just ignoring it, but I am bored too cause I can't ride.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

Thanks for the history lesson and bringing your own agenda into my post.

What I was trying to say was that the new crop of cruisers from Japan and Victory that I saw were imitating Harleys, not Indians and other V-twins from the past. And they looked like cartoons and felt like knock-offs in comparison to what they were imitating. And "in my opinion" was implied and I guess I should have stated it. You went off on whole phrases I didn't say and didn't think I implied, certainly didn't mean to.

Compared to the bikes I saw, which was the 2008 world line with the exception of Triumph (they didn't show for some reason) the Harleys seemed "like the real deal" that they were all imitating. I wasn't crediting Harley with creating the V-Twin, the diamond frame, yada yada, nor did I say it was the one and only real deal. But I felt that these other manufacturers were acting as if Harley were the real deal to replcate and "beat."

Now if we could go back in time, I'd probably prefer a BMW from the seventies brand new to my Fat Bob. Don't like the new BMWs in nearly the same way. But available to buy new, I did research, I did a few test rides, and I am very happy with my Harley.

I was not saying "Harley's best, **** the rest." I was saying that there seems to be a concerted effort to imitate the Harley cruiser today and that I personally feel that the imitations don't quite get close to the Harley.

Thanks for the opinions about these cruisers, that was what I was looking for. Now I'll go out and ride.

Last edited by Robert Le Gras; 02-02-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember that Suzuki came out years back with their attempt at a custom look with the Intruder

Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
jokerx
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert Le Gras
When did it begin. . . this phenomenon of the other makers copying the Harley look, trying to get the Harley feel and sound?

The end of the 'eighties? In the 'nineties" Earlier?

How do we feel about these bikes? I remember going to a motorcycle show in Ft. Worth about fifteen months ago and seeing and sitting on all these bikes so many trying to be twins and big twins, and falling way short of the mark. When I got to the Harley display it was like coming into a safe harbor. There was the real thing.

In general I'm a tolerant sort, and I live and let live. I even wave at the Yamahas, Hondas and Suzukis et al as they roll down the road going in the opposite direction. But I admit I really do feel as if I'm riding the real deal and . . .they're not.

Will I roast in Hell?

Well now...that's mighty neighborly of you...you are indeed a man among tolerant men.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruder
I get a kick out of the harley bashers who run out and buy a harley look a like and then do everything possible to make it look and sound like a harley.
Yea but most of em run good and don't leak!!! Jes sayin
Hey what part of New Hampster you from? South end of the big Lake here.....

Quick Reply: Imitation is the best form of flattery