Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the ladies and new riders.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Xocjm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the ladies and new riders.

My wife just purchased an 883 Sportster. She has dirtbike experience from when she was a teen (25 years ago) She is going to take the three day rider safety course (BRC?) and get her license of course before she gets out on the road. She has read some stories on line about people learning on the 250 hondas they provide for the course and then having trouble adjusting to there own motorcycle. I have assured her that it won't happen to her, for one I will be there to help and give advice (notice I said she's taking the riders safety course first) I'm actually holding off on teaching to much so that she is a fresh palet for the instructor. I don't claim to be a teacher. She asked me to post this to get responses so that she could read them tomorrow. Thanks to all that respond and please give my wife some encouragement. Michael (I'm sure she'll be signed in under her own name soon! lol)

Old 04-18-2006, 07:07 PM
rob_bottom
Advanced
Default RE: Question for the ladies and new riders.

Boy, you could be talking about my wife. I guess I need to go and have a talk with her. Seriously, though mine is in the same boat (?) She wants to ride, bought herself a Fatboy, and is now waiting for her riders course, which starts tomorrow. [sm=bounceybounce.gif] I told her to get through the course, and learn the basics, and from there we'll start her applying what she learns to her bike. There's going to be a difference between the small bikes in the BRC and her Harley, but the basics of control are pretty much the same so it'll be more of an adaptation to the different bike vs. learning to ride. Find a big empty parking lot, and let her build her skills on HER bike after she finishes the course. From there use your best judgement as to where to ride together. My biggest advice to you (and myself) is to stay positive and not be a worry wart. I know my wife can do this and do it well, but it's a bit harder when the newbie is your better half. [] Tell your wife to be confident, stay positive, and enjoy the ride.

Rob

Old 04-18-2006, 07:09 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a pretty good idea taking the safety course,and she should be alright with the 883,but the 1200 or the dyna might be a better fit for her,little more power and easy to handle,when my wife is ready,she will take the safety course and learn to ride,probably lower the King for her and get an Ultra Classic,that way we can ride two up on either bike and ride solo on the other times,hopefully this will take place in the near future[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 04-18-2006, 07:09 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since she has bike experience, all be it, dirt bikes, she won't have any problem. When my wife learned, I actually taught her to ride then we took the safety course together. I always let her lead so she could stay in her comfort zone. Now that she's an experienced rider, she still leads. That leaves me to just enjoy the scenery and not have to worry about my going too fast or slow. The only problem we've ever had is that she's not a good navigator. Sometimes I have to catch her when she's missed a turn.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:22 PM
rj164
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw your posting, I took the Motorcylce Ride course in Calif, haven't ride in 20 yrs, purchase a sportser 883c as a starting bike, moved up a year later to a Dyna , But I found out that the sportser I purchase perform 100% better and was easier to ride than the course bike, tell her to just have fun and enjoy the class
good luck

Old 04-18-2006, 08:15 PM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior

I took the class (which I highly recommend.) My husband wanted me to buy me a 250 to ride after the class. Instead I bought my friend's 1340 Low Rider. Every now and then my husband will laugh and just shake his head. He knows if I had the 250 I would have sold it a month later. I don't think there's a big adjustment from the class to your own bike. My advice is take the class and then practice on her bike until she feels comfortable - then hit the road.

The other thing to know ahead of time - for me looking at the bikes in the class was intimidating before I rode them. The tanks were dented in on both sides, directionals broken off and quite a bit of scratching and visible damage. Don't let that get to you. Get on and have a blast!!

Old 04-18-2006, 08:22 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, from a "girls" point of view...learning to ride a bike for a lady is not a lot different than learning to ride for a man. Same nervous excitement mixed up with a whole lot of self doubt and insecurity. Just remember how is was when YOU learned to drive a car... not to mention a bike. It will seem awkward and foreign at first, but with a little patience and determination, it will become easier and easier. Then you wonder what all the fuss was about. Anybody can do this!

Taking a riders course is a great idea for anyone who rides (beginners and experienced riders too). This gives the beginner the initial basis to learn the right way right from the start. These courses cover a lot more helpful information that may be missed by learning from another rider regardless of the good intentions, as we all know we all perhaps have aquired a few bad habits.

Experience is the key to moving up to a bigger bike and being comfortable enough to really enjoy it to the fullest. The more experience we get...the more relaxed we become... the more enjoyable it is. Although, deserted parking lots and side streets are ususally the place where it's safer to get the feel of the ride, there's nothing like getting out on the hwy and just riding. The more miles you put on, the more relaxed you become.

Slow down, relax and enjoy the ride! Once she gets that riding "bug"...there will be no turning back!

Good luck and drive Safe!

Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 PM
anniv03classic
Tourer

I'm a newer rider myself. Before I even took the MSF course I went and bought myself a Honda 250 Rebel.

I spent many hours driving in a parking lot. And on some empty streets. I even set up part of the driving test in a parking lot and practiced there also.

The biggest difference is the weight of the bikes. 300lbs verses 700lbs. Still trying to get used to handling the larger bike.

Dan

Old 04-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Dog Folks
Intermediate

If she wnats to ride, she will do fine. My wife learned to ride at the young age of 45. (Don't tell her). She wanted to ride her own after all these years.

Find a school or church parking lot to practice in. Ask for permission. (They will be shocked at your manners) Let your wife take it at her own speed. My wife took two weekends to get out of the parking lot, and then another week to get out of the neighborhood streets.

My wife took the safety course, on a Buell, rode it for 3 months and then I bought her a Sporty. She rode it for another 4-5 months, and then SHE BOUGHT her Dyna. Now I can't keep her off of it! She rides it to work,etc. Sometimes she comes out of the bedroom dressed to ride and states: " I am going for a ride. Are you coming?"

Tell your wife, not to worry, she will do fine. Just stay within your "comfort zone" at first.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:02 PM
ingenue
Road Captain

I took the BRC in December and the best advice I can give is to "talk to yourself" if you start to get nervous. I had major problems going from first to second gear during a few of the maneuvers and got shaken up. Then, I just took a deep breath and talked myself through each step I needed to take to stay focused. After that, it was a breeze and I really enjoyed it.

And, with the full-face helmet I was wearing, none of the guys in the class knew I was talking to myself

I'm looking at a Softail Deluxe - test rode it a few months ago and it is a sweet ride!!

Quick Reply: Question for the ladies and new riders.