General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash light problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005 | 01:54 AM
fxstcblu
|
Stage I
Default dash light problem

anyone know why I have a neutral light and oil pressure light that won't work, have put in new bulbs, checked sockets for power, checked curcuit breakers, still these two lights won't work, thanks

Old 04-06-2005 | 06:45 PM
hawk
Road Master
Default RE: dash light problem

both of those devices have sending units (the neutral may be a switch) but they are energized from some type of device,If they both are out I would suspect a ground problem

Old 04-07-2005 | 12:43 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: dash light problem

ORIGINAL: fxstcblu

anyone know why I have a neutral light and oil pressure light that won't work, have put in new bulbs, checked sockets for power, checked curcuit breakers, still these two lights won't work, thanks
These lights are grounded thru their respective switches.

Neutral Switch: With the ignition on and the bike in gear, put one meter lead on the wire at the neutral switch, and the other meter lead on a good ground. You should have power. If not, then you have a broken wire, bad lamp, or bad lamp holder. If you have power. put the bike in neutral. Power indication should go away, as it is now going to ground thru the switch. If it doesn't, then the switch is bad or needs adjustment.

Oil Pressure Switch: With ignition on, put one meter lead on the wire at the pressure switch, and the other lead on a good ground. You should have power. If not, then you have a broken wire, bad lamp, or bad lamp holder. If you have power. start the bike. Since you now (better have!) oil pressure, the switch should operate, and power indication should go away as it is now going to ground thru the switch. If it doesn't, then the switch is bad.

These sockets have a habit of going bad as they are semi-exposed to the weather.