General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Claims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:47 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Insurance Claims?

With all the talk about insurance rates lately I did some checking and found the same insurance with the Gecko for about 1/2 what I'm paying now. The rest of the equation is how they handle a claim. I have heard good things about USAA, State Farm etc. on cars but I would be interested in anyones experience with motorcycle claims. Any changes/cancellations because of it? How did they handle the accessories?
Thanks in advance. [&:]

Old 04-18-2006, 05:19 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Insurance Claims?

USAA has been my insurance company for years (GOOD people!) but they flat out won't handle motorcycles in Virginia. They referred me to Progressive who (so I've been told) has competitive rates. Don't know anything about the Gecko.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:20 PM
LTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Markel Ins. It was recommended by my dealer. After a quick crash I called them. They had no problems with my claim and paid out relatively quickly. In fact, my dealer, who did the work came up with ~$250 extra dollars in damage after the check, and Markel paid that too!

None of my accessories were damaged, only stock parts, so I don't know about that. Come to think of it, I should have submitted for my shoes that were ruined, but that's my fault. Hmm. I wonder if I should have claimed my pants too, as they were shredded and bloody before I got to the ER, and the ER literally cut was was left of them off of me. Again, that's my fault, not Markel Ins Co.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

I went to Geiko, Progressive, Nationwide, and whoever the other one Harley uses... State Farm had them all beat for me. Dunno why... I expected them to be more. And Geiko would not insure the bike unless I moved my cars over too... Which I thought was silly/useless.

So... still with state farm here.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:06 PM
richp5
Cruiser

I filed my first claim with Progressive after being with them 20+ years. A rock hit the underside of my bike and cracked the engine case. They totaled out my bike and paid for the accessories as well. I got more from them than I could have imagined selling it for and they stated, in writing, that I was 0% at fault. I also insure my motorhome with them and feel I am getting a good deal overall with the exception that my wife pays the same amount for her $5K Vulcan as I do for a $20K Heritage due to her 2 year riding experience.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: vernh59

With all the talk about insurance rates lately I did some checking and found the same insurance with the Gecko for about 1/2 what I'm paying now. The rest of the equation is how they handle a claim. I have heard good things about USAA, State Farm etc. on cars but I would be interested in anyones experience with motorcycle claims. Any changes/cancellations because of it? How did they handle the accessories?
Thanks in advance. [&:]
Had the same exact thing happen about a month ago, ran a quote with the Gecko, and it was 1/2 my State Farm insurance, for same coverage. Made the switch quick (my wife actually pays the bill, so that was really helping her out more). I haven't had a claim with them (knock of wood I never have to!), but I have heard they are good. I've heard the same with Progressive, and I think everyone knows how good USAA is.

Speaking of USAA (my car is insured through them), does anybody know what states they WILL insure motorcycles in? Because they sure won't in Arizona either (recommended Progressive, but they are always twice as expensive as everyone else for me).

Old 04-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch your coverage carefully. Here in Mich, some companies don't cover add ons, or even a Passenger. Progressive does, and they will cover everything on the bike including your helmet. To me, its worth extra for the piece of mind.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Protrucker
Tourer

I've had Progressive for many years, but never had a claim for them to pay. What did really impress me was the way they went to bat for me when a damn cager tried to run me off the road intentionally. They made sure the cagers insurance company paid & even followed up with a call to me to make sure that I was satiafied. I didn't think that it was their responsibility, because the cager recieved tickets & the police report showed that it was his fault. Progressive still followed thru for me though!

Old 04-18-2006, 10:32 PM
powerman
Cruiser

I went with Gecko. Have my ATV with Progressive so I called them first. Gecko beat thier rates and offered better coverage. I'll switch my ATV when it's due. I don't have my cage with them but they still took the Harley.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got rear ended at a red light in Florida during bike week this year. The rider (from Vermont) of the bike that ran into me had Sentry Ins that has it's claim department located in Richmond, VA.
I called Sentry and found out who and where to send the claim to cover the bike damages. I had the local HD shop write an estimate and sent it to Sentry. I had a check about a week latter. I wish Harley would re-stock more parts so I wouldn't have to wait until August for a side cover. Luckly I found a replacement left saddlebag that matched at another HD dealer. Some one ordered it and never picked it up. HD says 20 weeks was needed to get the replacement bag and side cover. "Just ain't right!"
My wife was hurt in the crash and is still waiting for the reply to the amount needed to sign off on her injuries.

Anyway, all that to say that Sentry Ins was quicker to send a check for the bike repairs than I expected.

chappy

Quick Reply: Insurance Claims?