General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I am being too anal about this? UPDATE on Fatboy paint defect

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006 | 12:45 PM
went_postal
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Think I am being too **** about this? UPDATE on Fatboy paint defect

So... Noticed that I have some paint popping up on my 06 Fatboy. Not a big spot or anything... but it is just kind of the point. It is right on the orange pinstripe that seperates the black and burgandy on the tank. I took it to the Dealership to talk about the fact that it was definately not a paint chip and they agreed. But... Apparently if it is not found before you take delivery Harley typically will not stand by it is what I am hearing. We are making the claim with the moco but I am not holding out a lot of hope on this.

So do you think I am just being way to **** about this? My concern is that if it is happening in this spot it could potentially happen in another. I have had cars that had debris under the paint and it can be a nightmare. Had to mave a Chevy entirely repainted because of that kinda thing.

Am I being unreasonable asking Harley to take care of this?

pic inline... (the picture does not do it justice... You can feel the raise in the paint... and it is an "open wound." I am worried about water getting under and making it worse. )

And does anyone else have trouble taking pix of their Harley because the paint is too reflective?

UPDATE 05/05/2006: So I got an email from the Dealership today... Looks like things are going positively... They needed the milage and the VIN... The Service Mgr said it looked like they were going to be able to take care of it... Will let you know what else happens.

I know it seems like a little thing... But a lot of people have chimed in on this thread with the same attitude I have... A lot of cash was laid out for the ride. Don't get me wrong... I would not "leave Harley" because of this... but it would make me think twice about buying new... If they were to not stand by this product I would probably think more about getting a used one and dropping the dough on a custom paint job. Eventually the fatboy will probably have one too... Found a nice big rock chip on the front fender the other day... But for now I think they should stand by this.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 04-18-2006 | 12:49 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Think I am being too **** about this?

I would be very surprised if they would consider that a defect. I would give it a try but wouldn't beat them up too bad.

Old 04-18-2006 | 01:31 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't really tell what I'm looking at in the picture but if it is not a chip, if it is a defect in the paint that will only get worse in the short term, I would raise immortal hell about it. Paint jobs ain't cheap and with so little paint on a bike anyway, small defects really show.

Old 04-18-2006 | 06:57 PM
Xocjm
Tourer

Beat the $hit out of them, this is a warrenty issue. If the dealer agreed that it was not a chip you need to raise hell (ever heard the squeeky wheel gets the oil) they will ignore you, they'll feed you a line of Bull$hit, then you e-mail the consumer laywer for the local news agency (TV) CC ing the dealership and the MOCO and wait to see the reaction. Just a suggestion, worked for me! Michael

Old 04-18-2006 | 07:06 PM
Bear64
Banned

No your not at all..that should be covered..certanily not your fault..But good luck.

Old 04-18-2006 | 07:15 PM
LAWMAN
Tourer

Your forgetting it's a BRAND NEW BIKE! It's a 2006 looks like a defective paint job. Time will tell.....literly! Approach them in a positive manner and you will more than likley get positive results.

Old 04-18-2006 | 07:43 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

That looks like a defect to me. They should cover it, but if they don't you need to make sure that you seal that up. Clear finger nail polish will do the trick.

Old 04-18-2006 | 07:52 PM
sgtrod91
Tourer

I agre with you is defective paint job, and HD should fix it, good luck I hope they fix it for you.

Old 04-18-2006 | 07:56 PM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

Looks like a defect, I mean if the bike was 20 years old and had been repainted 2 or 3 times maybe, but its a 06 and should be perfect paint

Old 04-18-2006 | 08:57 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain

Raise Hell!!! That is a defect. Who says that that is the only spot that it's going to happen. Thats what a warranty is for.

Quick Reply: Think I am being too anal about this? UPDATE on Fatboy paint defect