General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife's BUTT needs your wife's advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Momma had scoliosis (sp?) when she was a kid. So her back gives out after a while.
My GF has scoliosis as well, and was never able to spend long hours on any of the bikes I've had over the last ten years (including an '83 Gold Wing I had for a while) due to back issues. That is until I got my '89 Ultra. I had the stock seat redone, rider and passenger cushions, by Mean City Cycles. No complaints since.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:35 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more vote for the mustang. When the wife rides with me I put the wide super touring seat on my Heritage. She says it is makes all the difference in comfort.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
HogFather
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to wife's comfort, the wider the seat the better on the longer rides. All good suggestions already provided. I would suggest taking the bike to a dealer either HD or Indy and sample a couple with her present. I replaced the stock EG seat for a stock road glide seat. I like the look and it feels great for me on long rides. Wife says she can live with it, thou not as compfy as the original seat. The sheep skin is a huge favorite too.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DH's first bike was a Dyna: he never let my throw a leg over it. His sister in law went for ONE ride with his brother and said "never again". No way he was going to risk that, so he did his first season solo, then traded up to an Ultra. It had a W I D E seat for his wide wife. It also has buttons on the upholstery, no matter what we tried, those damn buttons poked me, so we decided the ashtrays were full..... and traded for a new one!
We do long tours, as much as 6 weeks at a time, full days of touring, I need to do my part and sit. We use a stock seat, toss on the sheep skin, the big improvement has been my passenger highway pegs. I can vary the stress on my hips and pelvis. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Lt James
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mustang here, wife loves it. Got the wide touring 1pc for my FLHX, we've got 6-7 hour rides with nothing more than a leg stretch every hour or two. Like was mentioned before, stretching your legs every now and then REALLY helps. Adjustable foot pegs sound like a sure win.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Nay_Nay73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better seat

Originally Posted by TwistedPiston
My wife LOVES the bike but HATES the seat, she is sore after only an hour of riding....We wanna do more long distance riding but need a more comfortable seat, I'm more concerned with her comfort than mine, if she's happy I'm happy....

So what seats make your wives happy??
I have been thinking of a Day Long or Mustang, because I have read good things about them, but all from the riders point of view, not the passenger.
Thanks for the great info guys (and gals) I have been lurking here for a long time and finally joined up to ask this question. Hopefully its in the right place.
I just ordered a Mustang seat, when I get her on and get riding I wil let you know what I think. It can't be worse then the seat that came with the Sportster!!! I don't know if I will ever walk right again!!