General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for bikers with long hair and beards.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:37 PM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for bikers with long hair and beards.

Ok,strange question,but I'm serious. My 24 year old son is a right brainer,meaning the creative side.He has tested in the top 1 % IQ in the nation,doesn't do drugs, has a degree specializing in special effects and animation movie industry and is a musician..Long story short his company has out sourced to India and he is out of a job.That said he needs another job but doesn't think he needs to cut his hair or beard. I know a lot of you guys have long hair and have good a job.Any advice would be appreciated.Jobs are few and between,and I say he needs to cut his 3/4 length down his back and bushy beard to get a real job,but his pride stands in the way.Ok,I see a lot of bikers with long hair,any suggestions when it comes to a job???

Thanks

Last edited by drogers; 01-30-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:49 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a carpenter and interviews consist of guys who look just like i do...so being in a trade is one thing...would imagine other fields might frown on that look and appearance at an interview...so far I have been lucky in that the line of work I'm in we are allowed some appearance freedom

Old 01-30-2009, 09:56 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Well, it's been said that you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Unfortunately, many judge a book by it's cover. If he is lookin for a professional type job, my opinon is he will need a professional look. I don't agree with this, but it is what it is.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 PM
rprpclark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way you look, dress and groom sends a message, INTENDED OR NOT. It's great to be an "individual" if you can afford it. There's long hair and there's long hair. There's beards and there's beards.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 PM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by confederate
Well, it's been said that you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Unfortunately, many judge a book by it's cover. If he is lookin for a professional type job, my opinon is he will need a professional look. I don't agree with this, but it is what it is.

You're right. I am a mechanical contractor and my boy grew up in the biz till he moved on to his chosen career.Unfortunately,his profession is few and far between unless he moves to the California movie industry.He is willing to take a "regular" job but I can't convince him he has no chance till he cuts his hair and beard.On the other hand I see fellow bikers with long hair and I know they aren't digging ditches.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

If he starts going hungry it'll come off.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

I'm the opposite of tomhummer, I hire network engineers in a corporate environment. No matter what field, what it boils down to is having the edge over the tidal wave of applicants out there right now. We posted a position and had 100 resumes by noon.

There are still a lot of baby boomers doing the hiring right now where appearance could give an edge. Hair grows back.

Just my free $0.02

I wish him luck in his search.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:27 AM
FGC
Cruiser

i cut my hair to get my foot in the door, then once you have the job and show your value no one cares if you let it grow back. been a long haired lawyer 16 years now

Old 01-31-2009, 07:40 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm an electronic technician. when you're a network systems or computer guy no one gives a rats turd what you look like for an interview or on the job...if you got the goods and can do the work you're usually in there....
the last job that required me to have to look "purdy" was the Army.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:54 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It is sad that we are judged by the first impression or the way we look.There are so many good people out there being overlooked.Look at Albert Einstein.No matter it's the world we live in,your sons success depends on how he handles things.All you can do is express your concern.Good Luck

Quick Reply: Question for bikers with long hair and beards.