General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for bikers with long hair and beards.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 PM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have him stuff the hair under a turban, he'll have no problem.
The bonus: he gets to keep his beard too.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK now that's funny, and all too true!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got three sons, and here's what I discovered. At some age each of them became a whole lot smarter than I ever was, or ever will be. They really couldn't hear some of the counsel that I would give them. Then they went out into the big, bad world. Each of them has come back to me, some sooner, one later, and said: Geez Dad, I wished I'd have listened to you a little better back in the day..... Bottom line, he's a smart kid. He'll figure it out pretty quick. Telling him to cut his hair at this stage only reinforces his desire to let it grow. Smile and say: "Son, I know you're going to be successful at whatever you choose to do. Just focus on what you want and go get it. You can be anything you want, the world is waiting for you.".... Then cut the ole umbilical cord and watch him fly... Just my .02 from an aging father and grandfather 12 times over....

Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 AM
DMorr99
Road Master

I work for uncle Sam and uncle Sam says you can have your hair and beard anyway you like as long as it is clean. The policy works great for me because I like to drink alot of beer at night and just do not have the time or energy to shave in the mornings. I shave every couple of months.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got to agree with FGC once you get in. then you can grow it back this day and age is very tough so you got to do what you can to get in. he is young the hair will come back when you get my age. the beard comes back real good but the hair on top well let's just say it is growing everywhere else but where it belong's. best of luck to your son.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let him do want he wants. In the end he'll be forced to do what is necessary.

Last edited by ken thompson; 02-04-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xuallus,

Man I am not trying to get into a argument with you. The original poster asked a question, I answered as to how the real world works.

We can all fool ourselves that our looks don't matter, but they do.

In my business my employees go to peoples houses. These people expect professional, honest, boy next door looking type of people to come to their home. And that's a factor in our hiring process.

I don't like it any better than you do. I always wanted to have my long hair and beard, but in the real world that just doens't work for most high paying jobs.

For the past 18+ years I've had short hair and trimed beard/goatee. I don't let our customers see my piercings or tatoos, it's just not professional in too much of the general publics minds, especially when you are working in their home.

Now that I'm retired, I don't have to worry about that, I let my hair grow if I want and I have a 10" goattee. But when I was working at the same company for 18 years, I did worry about it. I had to do something right, not too many 50 year olds that are retired.

Lets just agree to disagree on this one.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel the same way. I don't like some of the facts that I'm aware of but they are what they are. We can (and should) only respond to the question from the perspective of our individual experiences. I agree with Xuallus that it's a lousy set of conditions but...

Last edited by RangeRat; 02-04-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start to compromise your personal beliefs for one thing and pretty soon it becomes easy. I don't why he has long hair, only he does. I have had long hair (middle of back) for 40 years. That is four decades. I have changed occupations at lease five times but not my appearance. I do not have a beard just a really big stash. If someone doesn't want to hire me because of the hair I don't wanna work for em anyway!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Xuallus
Road Master

Originally Posted by frankjake
Xuallus,

Man I am not trying to get into a argument with you. The original poster asked a question, I answered as to how the real world works.

I don't like it any better than you do. I always wanted to have my long hair and beard, but in the real world that just doens't work for most high paying jobs.

Lets just agree to disagree on this one.
I'm not here to argue either, and I do know where you're coming from. I know how the world works, and I know there are many jobs I could never get. My entire point is that there are also many good paying jobs that I can get, without changing what I look like.

I like my job, and it pays me enough to do the things I want to do. I don`t make a million a year or anything close, but jobs like that have never interested me. Of course, if someone wanted to pay me a million a day to cruise on my scoot, I`d shave my entire head twice a day

Quick Reply: Question for bikers with long hair and beards.