General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for bikers with long hair and beards.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankjake
Another fact we would look at as employers, people who are more concerned about making a statement with the way they look usually are not focused on their job. We just let them go thru the interview process but don't usually hire them. This statment comes from years of experience.
Years of experience doing what? Not hiring these people? Sorry man, I see where you're coming from, but generalizations like that get me really riled up. Like any other form of discrimination, there are no facts behind them, just opinions - usually the opinions of closed minded people.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:22 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Xuallus
Like any other form of discrimination, there are no facts behind them, just opinions - usually the opinions of closed minded people.
Maybe so, but they make the rules when they own the business and are doing the hiring. So a person can either make a few concessions like getting your hair cut to get a job or find some other way to eat.

If a person can afford to be unflexible with these types of principles that's great. However, most can't and need to do what it takes to get a job.

Jim

Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xuallus
Years of experience doing what? Not hiring these people? Sorry man, I see where you're coming from, but generalizations like that get me really riled up. Like any other form of discrimination, there are no facts behind them, just opinions - usually the opinions of closed minded people.
No, people who think thier looks are more important than earning a living are closed minded and stupid.

And yes there are a lot of facts behind them, why do you think so many companies follow this same type of "discrimination" as you call it. Guess since you are not a business owner "if I have to explain it, you will never understand".

Old 02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When he gets hungry enough he'll grow up.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work offshore, I don't remember the last time I shaved.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:07 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got hired at Motorola in 1991 with shoulder length hair. When I got "downsized" in 2001 it had grown to just a little bit north of my knees. After 9 months of looking for another gig, with no luck, and the the unemployment about to run out, I had the unique opportunity to go on the "Maury Show" and have a makeover. They cut 41" of hair and shaved my beard. After getting back to Austin, the next job I applied for, I was hired on the spot.

Just sayin'

Old 02-02-2009, 10:14 PM
jeepedest
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use to have hair to my ***.....now i have a beard....still the same job for over 21 years.......but i dont really do anything so i'm not sure if this helps.....lol

Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is, most certainly, a trivial issue, but it cuts both ways. They might be missing out on the best applicant for the job but you might be missing out on the best job available. It isn't about the money. There are plenty of ways to make money. It's about job satisfaction. Why limit your opportunities? Once hired you can do whatever you please. Most of those you see with long hair and beards with good jobs didn't have long hair and beards when they got the job. They grew those afterwards.

Appearance is just one factor. It is one factor in one aspect of their assessment of you. That aspect is how hungery are you? Just how badly do you want this job? The more you try to express your individuality outside your qualifications for the job the more you say you don't care. Hehe, well, sorry, screw you, I'm giving the job to someone that really wants it. If you want to be a star then go wait tables with the rest of the actors.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Xuallus
Road Master

Originally Posted by frankjake
No, people who think thier looks are more important than earning a living are closed minded and stupid.

And yes there are a lot of facts behind them, why do you think so many companies follow this same type of "discrimination" as you call it. Guess since you are not a business owner "if I have to explain it, you will never understand".
Kinda making a few assumptions there aren't you Frank? Closed minded? Stupid? Not a business owner? You know nothing about me other than I have long hair, piercings and tattoos. Guess what, that's discrimination.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination

2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit

I never really thought I'd have this conversation on a Harley related site...

Old 02-03-2009, 06:30 PM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

it all depends on what jobs he is looking for.. I have been around the movie sets some, helping a friend do soundstage setups.. almost every tech and roadie I have seen has long hair. Your applying for office position or public appearance job.. should make a difference, IF not go in there with clean and dressed nice , but still with your hair, dazzle em with brilliance or great Bullchit, Human Resource interviewers crack me up.. they study pigeon hole test results. and study phych test done on best type of worker to hire... learn the catch phrases and right body language....How to make a great impression as a job seeker... It doesn't take short hair or long hair or whatever.. with the right personality you can win the job anyways.

Quick Reply: Question for bikers with long hair and beards.