General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for bikers with long hair and beards.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Jock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All comes down to the jobs he is chasing - Ive interviewed at all levels both in a creative environment - radio and in a corporate environment - finance. He needs to understand what it is he's after --- even if its a filler if he seriously wants to get an "establishment" job then the price is looking professional and unless you are headhunted then its suit neat and tidy. Creative employment does tend to focus on abilities rather than look

Old 02-01-2009, 03:54 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wore mine short in the military so long, and shaved everyday until I feel scruffy if I dont. Can't handle over a three day beard!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:09 AM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

He'll figure it out...the creative ones always do

Old 02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by max56
Nothing annoys me worse than to look up from my car and see that the guy (I think) at the MacDonald's drive up window, has purple glittered hair and piercings through several parts of his face.
I'm just curious; how can the look of a burger-slinger affect your day?

On a site where a metric tonne of people talk daily about freedom and individuality, the replies to this thread have really surprised me. I've had long hair since I was 12, piercings since I was 14 and a beard and ink since I was 18. I've been working since I was 14 - part time through school and full time ever since. I refuse to change the way I look for anyone but myself, I'm the one that has to live in my skin, and I would feel like a complete poser if I tried to fit in with societal norms.

If your son is as smart and talented as you say he is (and I have no doubt that he is), he should be able to make that obvious to people on the other side of the interview. If he can't, he just needs to work on his confidence and how to sell himself.

While it is true that there are many people in hiring positions that will quickly dismiss people who look different, I have found that there are far more who truly want the best person for the job.

My $0.02

Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 AM
bearammus
Advanced

I think he should give himself every advantage possible. If I was going for an interview and I really wanted this particular job, I'd drop by the facility a day or two before the scheduled interview see first hand what the standard is for hair and beards as employees come in for work. This at least gives a candidate some idea of what to expect and what might be helpful one way or the other.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:08 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell him he's got three months to find a job or a new place to live. Tell him he can wear a speedo to the interview for all you care, but if he wants help or sympathy from you then he had best do everything he can to land a job. If he isn't living with you or asking you for help then it isn't your problem. Some people are helpless and that's all there is to it. You can't help them because they won't help themselves. My mother always told me that I got myself into this mess and I can get myself out.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:22 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bearammus
I think he should give himself every advantage possible. If I was going for an interview and I really wanted this particular job, I'd drop by the facility a day or two before the scheduled interview see first hand what the standard is for hair and beards as employees come in for work. This at least gives a candidate some idea of what to expect and what might be helpful one way or the other.
I would say that is great advise...

I didn't... got a hair cut... shaved... after getting the job, I walk around the corner one day and there is a freaking director with hair half way down his back and ink on his arms...

WTF!

Charlie D.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a retired electronics engineer who was with a very well-known major corporation and staffed an entirely new department (mine) prior to retirement. Neatly trimmed is fully acceptable these days but even I finished getting things all up-n-running well before letting my hair and beard grow some more.

Now I'm drawing my pension and letting the remaining hairs grow a LOT more . Sorry but the others are right - it's still fact of life .

ETA: He should consider demonstrating the capability to function well independently before sending a loud signal that he may merely be determined to work that way.

Last edited by RangeRat; 02-02-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Find a job that wants his talents and doesn't care about looks. Find a job he enjoys, life's to short to be miserable.

Last edited by Harley_Dude; 02-04-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Sorry this may be a little long but I think it's worth posting.

When I worked full time I ran a plumbing company and did a lot of hiring and firing. Our employess can NOT have long hair or long beard for safety reasons.

We had a guy come in with hair way long, probably 1/2 way down his back. I interviewed him but knew all along I wouldn't be able to hire him and I have learned over the years, people don't want to cut their hair, so I don't even ask. I just go through the interview to cover my a$$ for legal reasons.

I really like the guy but couldn't hire him because of his long hair. During the interview we talked about all kinds of stuff, he made the comment how loyal he would be because he hasn't had a girl friend in so long, and only wanted to concentrate on work. (this plays an important part later in the story)

The interview is over and he walks out as I say, "I'll let you know". He walks back into my office about 30 seconds later and says, "I'll cut my hair if you give me the job". I hired him on the spot.

He showed up a few days later with a nice, much shorter hair cut. (he had a short goatee and that's acceptable).

He's been with our company for over 10 years now and still has his short hair cut.

to the point I wanted to make earlier.... He siad he was so glad he cut his hair, he has all kinds of dates/girls over the past 10 years. He said a much higher quality of girl now pays attention to him. He said he would never grow his hair long again.

Personally I don't care. Since I partially retired from that company (I still work for them but only a few hours a week as a consultant) I still have a flat top but my goatee is about 10 inches long. No way I could get away with that in that type of business.

Another fact we would look at as employers, people who are more concerned about making a statement with the way they look usually are not focused on their job. We just let them go thru the interview process but don't usually hire them. This statment comes from years of experience.

Last edited by frankjake; 02-02-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Question for bikers with long hair and beards.