Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for bikers with long hair and beards.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,340 Likes on 8,407 Posts

Originally Posted by FGC
i cut my hair to get my foot in the door, then once you have the job and show your value no one cares if you let it grow back. been a long haired lawyer 16 years now
Yep this is the way to go. In these times, the pool is so big you have to conform. But after landing the job, let it grow.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I manage software developers and network techs and have done the second level interviewing for years. Since I am in a corporate environment I have to be sensitive to the people the new hire is going to have to interact with, and that usually includes at least the occasional bump into senior managment. I always get the resume before I see the candidate so that is critically important, next I am looking for how bad does the candidate want it, is (s)he walking in in "street" clothes or in a suit and tie. I used to have long hair so that doesn't bother me, AS LONG AS IT IS TIED BACK and CLEAN, man I cannot stress this enough, and forget dreads, it's not happening. Next, the beard, here again I have to nod toward upper management, is it trimmed or does it look like a member of ZZ Tops after a long hard ride, trimmed gets the job. Finally, and this is a personal peave of mine, has the candidate used mouthwash before walking in the door. I don't care how brilliant you are if your breath stinks no one is going to want to work with you.

Tell your son good luck, it is a tough world out there but the people who are hiring just want to get the job done the best way they can.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:51 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Having been in upper management and doing the hiring, the bad breath and being dirty doesn't get the job, sorry too much soap and water around.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just from what I read so far - cut it, It'll grow back. The job market is so competitive today that taking a chance on non conformance just isn't worth it.
He may get lucky and find what he needs as is - but it sounds like he's going to have to be more diversified in his search for a job.
My step daughter is going through this right now (purple hair and a pierced nose) in a creative field. She's getting close to conforming at this point.
Of course this is a moot point if his talents are far superior then most (99%).
Good luck.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

As smart as you say he is, I think he'll figure it out for himself. That's what we all gotta do anyway, we just keep figuring out what we gotta do to survive. I had no choice, Uncle Sam kept my hair short when I was 24. Then again, I had a ponytail down my back at 50. Now it's short again. I think I want to be hairy as hell in my 70's tho....

Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 AM
fliphd
Tourer
Location: West central Illinois in the Mississippi river bottoms

I am no expert but with the economy the way it is and with so many people losin their jobs and lookin for a new one I would say first impressions are more important now more than ever. I know some very smart people with out a lick of common sense not sayin your son is one of them, but his arguin the obvious makes me wonder? Hair and wiskers will grow back. Just my 2 cents worth tell him good luck hope everything works out.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 AM
drogers
Tourer

He has a lot of common sense too,so I hope he'll figure it out and get a hair cut.He hasn't cut it in 7 years and I think he feels it would be like cutting off his arm.I'll give him the it will grow back speech and see if that works.He already hinted that he'll cut it for the right job.I was just curious how others in the work place dealt with long hair.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 216 Posts

Tell him to clean his act up, get the job, then grow it all back after he proves himself.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My most recent job is with a school district that the principle was a long haired rocker who is now conformed to short haired society. He says he lives vicarious through me. I went to the job interview with long hair. Many times I would cut my hair for jobs to not land one. Then letting my hair grow out and then apply, that did it.

Either that or they were desperate to hire someone with my qualifications.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:26 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

at 24 y would he want a beard? show off that young flesh, plenty of time for face hair when your old!!!he he

Quick Reply: Question for bikers with long hair and beards.