General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:36 PM
RustyRay
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on MSRP

(hopefully my first post will be a good one)

I’ve been riding American since 1984. I bought a Shovel basket-case that I wound up riding for nearly 20 years. Then (with more dollars in my pocket than sense in my head), I took possession of nearly 30 grand worth of junk (read: American Iron Horse). I’m sure a lot of you have had great experiences with one-offs and special construction bikes and I’m not looking to badmouth either. Me, I wound up unloading the AI for pennies on the dollar and I’m eyeballing an 09 Road King. And here’s my problem…
I haven’t been an HD dealership in years, so I’m wondering if you’re dealing with cash, is there any room to negotiate these days? Way back when, you paid MSRP for the bike and were lucky if the dealer hadn’t piled on $1000s worth of “genuine” accessories (at 300% profit)

So what gives, can I walk in and offer 10% under msrp? 20%? Or are they goin to laugh me outta the dealership?s

Old 01-30-2009, 07:40 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can offer whatever you want. Doesn't mean they'll accept your offer. Dealer prices differ all over the country. Some are above MSRP, some at MSRP, and some below. You won't find your answer on the internet unless you find folks that have dealt with the exact dealer you plan on visiting. The only way to know is to go down there, pull up your sleeves, and start throwin' punches. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 PM
RustyRay
Stage IV

Good call.....THNX

Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ash-price.html

that should help you out. harley isn't going to move off there msrp kick anytime soon i think. i talked to a sales guy at the local harley shop and he told me that they will get a call from harley if they go below msrp on a new bike, only think i've seen is them throw in maybe a set of saddle bags or something like that.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 PM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Went to my closest dealer 35 miles away msrp was the best he would do. went to a dealer 64 miles away got $2000 off msrp on 09 street glide

Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done. You just need to work them. You may also be able to get discounts on parts or service as well. Lots of Threads on this subject. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 PM
RustyRay
Stage IV

thx JD (I guess I shoulda learned how to use the search function)
2000? that's good news

Old 01-30-2009, 07:51 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Harley dealers dont like cash. Harley financial services is a HUGE cash cow for the dealers and they get a profit for the amount of loans they make. All you have to do is finance the bike and then pay off the balance on the first payment. Try to get under MSRP+sales tax (watch out for the BS fees). If you cant get that then go to MSRP+sales tax.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:51 PM
HighriderUSA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RustyRay
thx JD (I guess I shoulda learned how to use the search function)
2000? that's good news
While , I won't dice anybody's personal dealings, I find 2K off a 2009 as most likely a good " tall one". But hey , anything is possible, now where is that Power Ball Ticket"

Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

$1500-1800 off would be an easy sell in my part of NJ. We have 6 dealers w/i 30-45 minute drive which may help some. I've done it on the last two bikes we bought and didn't even work at it. Didn't walk out or play any of the usual games. One bike was bought in October, the other in May.

Buddy of mine got an even better deal on an Ultra. He did all his bargaining online or over the phone. Told the dealer what he was looking for and after going back and forth a few times he got the deal he wanted.

When I buy my next bike that's the way I hope to do it. Once I'm in the store and got my eyes on a certain bike it really breaks down my sales resistance.

Hell, I almost buy a new one every time I go into a dealership.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on MSRP