General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:41 PM
indiebarjohn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myglide
Well, Harley Davidson screws everyone that buys a bike from them. We all want a Harley so we pay it. MSRP is set up to include freight, set up etc... that harley charges us extra for. Marketing people for Harley are genius. They stick it in and break it off and convinces everyone they like it and want more. So we all buy Harley this and Harley that to feed our egos or whatever it may be. It never ceases to amaze me. If you buy a Harley and have Harley products you are cooler or whatever it may be than other people.
I think you should sell your Harley. If I felt that way, everythime I saw my bike I get upset.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:49 PM
jmwilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by golfblues
Not on 2.0 baffles or smaller. 2.5 require fuel management. The ECU will automatically adjust on 2.0 and smaller.. But I did add a Stage 1 SE/KN air filter so now it was necessary. I picked up a brand new V&H Fuelpac on ebay for 125.00. Installed it in 30 minutes & the bike runs & sounds great. A stage one upgrade on the ECU is not required. I'm running stock on the ECU.
golfblues, you wouldn't be interested in selling the stock mufflers off your 09 Heritage. I am thinking about taking a pair to a machine shop and have some of the baffles cut out. Do you think this would be a bad idea?

Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by jmwilson
golfblues, you wouldn't be interested in selling the stock mufflers off your 09 Heritage. I am thinking about taking a pair to a machine shop and have some of the baffles cut out. Do you think this would be a bad idea?

Sorry about the delay but it was vacation time. I would go with the slip-ons for around 275.00 installed. I want to hold on to the stock mufflers but if I change my mind I'll PM you.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

I think everyone just needs to wait until July to buy a bike. By that time Harley and the dealers will be desperated. If not there is always victory.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 PM
fatvette
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jd8181
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ash-price.html

that should help you out. harley isn't going to move off there msrp kick anytime soon i think. i talked to a sales guy at the local harley shop and he told me that they will get a call from harley if they go below msrp on a new bike, only think i've seen is them throw in maybe a set of saddle bags or something like that.

LOL!!! This sounds like something a salesperson would say it Indy-West HD. And of course they would be wrong. The MoCo can only "suggest" a price that a dealer sells at. The franchised dealer can charge anything he wants to. The MoCo will not and cannot dictate what a dealer can charge for anything in a franchised store.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RustyRay
(hopefully my first post will be a good one)

I’ve been riding American since 1984. I bought a Shovel basket-case that I wound up riding for nearly 20 years. Then (with more dollars in my pocket than sense in my head), I took possession of nearly 30 grand worth of junk (read: American Iron Horse). I’m sure a lot of you have had great experiences with one-offs and special construction bikes and I’m not looking to badmouth either. Me, I wound up unloading the AI for pennies on the dollar and I’m eyeballing an 09 Road King. And here’s my problem…
I haven’t been an HD dealership in years, so I’m wondering if you’re dealing with cash, is there any room to negotiate these days? Way back when, you paid MSRP for the bike and were lucky if the dealer hadn’t piled on $1000s worth of “genuine” accessories (at 300% profit)

So what gives, can I walk in and offer 10% under msrp? 20%? Or are they goin to laugh me outta the dealership?s
If you don't mind buying a slightly used bike, the best deals are on Ebay. I've bought two bikes on Ebay in the last year and both of them were excellent bikes at very low prices.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Berndude
Tourer

M Most
S Smart People
R Refuse to
P Pay

Old 02-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Jontall
Cruiser

Kosco HD in New Jersey was giving 15% off on all in-stock 2009's, last month. That's where I would start. Price the bike w/options you want on the HD website and add $500 for setup/delivery-- then deduct 15%. Go to/email dealers with your offer.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Lifeson
Stage I
Default shopping for 2009 super glide classic

I am in columbus ohio.. i just got my motocycle endorsment.. I am wanting to buy ... 2009 super glide custom.. i am wondering what i should be able to buy one for in my area.. i want the vivid black and alarm on it.....
you don't have to give me dealer names . i would like to know i much i should be able to get one for... i hope 1500-2000 under msrp.....
thanks!!!!

Last edited by Lifeson; 06-09-2009 at 12:07 AM.