General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by jmwilson
The two tone blue was the best looking Heritage I saw. The $18400 almost depleted my bank account. What were the slip ons you mentioned golfblues. Have fun in Florida.

Rush 2.0 slant downs, great deep sound & you certainly can hear them

Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 PM
jmwilson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to change your fuel map settings?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by jmwilson
Did you have to change your fuel map settings?

Not on 2.0 baffles or smaller. 2.5 require fuel management. The ECU will automatically adjust on 2.0 and smaller.. But I did add a Stage 1 SE/KN air filter so now it was necessary. I picked up a brand new V&H Fuelpac on ebay for 125.00. Installed it in 30 minutes & the bike runs & sounds great. A stage one upgrade on the ECU is not required. I'm running stock on the ECU.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a friend who just bought a Street Glide, ther are 3 dealers close by us (So California Desert) and we went around to all of them, 2 of them acted as if they could care less if he bought a Bike, even more since he was paying cash, we went back to the dealer we began with and worked them down.
He ended up getting about $1500 off, and 20% 1 time deal on any parts and labor to add some extras.
He ended up putting 50% down and when the first payment came he paid it off...
They really dont want cash, but paying a couple of bucks in interst is not bad if it gets you a better deal

Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 AM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, Harley Davidson screws everyone that buys a bike from them. We all want a Harley so we pay it. MSRP is set up to include freight, set up etc... that harley charges us extra for. Marketing people for Harley are genius. They stick it in and break it off and convinces everyone they like it and want more. So we all buy Harley this and Harley that to feed our egos or whatever it may be. It never ceases to amaze me. If you buy a Harley and have Harley products you are cooler or whatever it may be than other people.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:24 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyRay
(hopefully my first post will be a good one)

I’ve been riding American since 1984. I bought a Shovel basket-case that I wound up riding for nearly 20 years. Then (with more dollars in my pocket than sense in my head), I took possession of nearly 30 grand worth of junk (read: American Iron Horse). I’m sure a lot of you have had great experiences with one-offs and special construction bikes and I’m not looking to badmouth either. Me, I wound up unloading the AI for pennies on the dollar and I’m eyeballing an 09 Road King. And here’s my problem…
I haven’t been an HD dealership in years, so I’m wondering if you’re dealing with cash, is there any room to negotiate these days? Way back when, you paid MSRP for the bike and were lucky if the dealer hadn’t piled on $1000s worth of “genuine” accessories (at 300% profit)

So what gives, can I walk in and offer 10% under msrp? 20%? Or are they goin to laugh me outta the dealership?s
My local Dealer..Battlefield...has a $2,000.00 off big twins, 0% interest loans and other % percent off access, service and a extened warranty....Look at there homepage. I still ponder of starting over? Good luck.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 AM
bdorr67
Tourer

I’ve been riding American since 1984. I bought a Shovel basket-case that I wound up riding for nearly 20 years. Then (with more dollars in my pocket than sense in my head), I took possession of nearly 30 grand worth of junk (read: American Iron Horse). I’m sure a lot of you have had great experiences with one-offs and special construction bikes and I’m not looking to badmouth either. Me, I wound up unloading the AI for pennies on the dollar and I’m eyeballing an 09 Road King. And here’s my problem…
I haven’t been an HD dealership in years, so I’m wondering if you’re dealing with cash, is there any room to negotiate these days? Way back when, you paid MSRP for the bike and were lucky if the dealer hadn’t piled on $1000s worth of “genuine” accessories (at 300% profit)

So what gives, can I walk in and offer 10% under msrp? 20%? Or are they goin to laugh me outta the dealership?s
Hey RustyRay,

Not sure if this makes a dif these days with the way the economy is going, but a tactic that will help place you in a better negotiating position is to plan to do the deal on the last day of the month (or near it). Come in early in the day and be willing to walk away if you're not happy. They will usually call you, stop you at the door or in your car to prevent a sale from going somewhere else.

The dealers have quotas they like to meet and are more willing to negotiate price in order to move inventory.

Other things to consider (which may or may not be of value to you) are store credits, first free service, etc. I've read some have gotten a $1,000 store credit so if you have plans to modify the bike you could use a store credit for exhaust, luggage, etc.

It's a buyers market so you have the advantage.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BTW, I got my 2008 XL1200N for MSRP and $500 store credit. I've seen better deals on the same bike by other posters here.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Ironhand
Road Master

Originally Posted by myglide
Well, Harley Davidson screws everyone that buys a bike from them. We all want a Harley so we pay it. MSRP is set up to include freight, set up etc... that harley charges us extra for. Marketing people for Harley are genius. They stick it in and break it off and convinces everyone they like it and want more. So we all buy Harley this and Harley that to feed our egos or whatever it may be. It never ceases to amaze me. If you buy a Harley and have Harley products you are cooler or whatever it may be than other people.
should be a easy decision for you then....dont buy one go ride honda's

Old 01-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Know what you mean about the AIH's dropping in value. Was lucky to unload my '04 LSC before the bottom fell out of the chopper market.

Don't rush the purchase of your 09 RK. Hit several different dealers and see what kind of deals they're giving. Also get on the internet and check out dealers outside of your local area to see what they're doing. With a little homework, you can make an informed purchase.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:19 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by myglide
Don't be so hard on yourself. You're the victim and what happened wasn't your fault.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on MSRP