General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most expensive speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got pulled on 285 - the racetrack around Atlanta - a few years ago
Cop walks up and says
"know why I stopped you ?"
I said
"yeah, I'm the only one you could catch !"

Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend of ours got pulled over by a cop for speeding and the cop walked up and said, "I've been waiting for you all day." Johnny deadpanned back, "Well I got here just as fast as I could."

Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain

The ORIGINAL post was about the highest fine --you--paid NOT about what he should have done---a typical thread -- hi-jack---running rampant on this forum----must be the long winter blues!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NightsterAl
So, it was a nice day in November when I was pulled over on I-285 right outside of Atlanta. Those of you that are familiar with 285 know that it is damn near impossible and very dangerous to only do the speed limit on this road. Here is a great movie that some GA students put together about this same stretch of road (55: A Meditation on the Speed Limit).

The speed limit on 285 is 55 and I was definitely doing well over 55, but keeping up with traffic. The officer shooting radar was a Sandy Springs officer and he had caught me along with 2 other drivers riding behind me in their cars. They were running a speed trap on this day and that’s how they got all of us. The officer that pulled me over was polite and I was very courteous to her as well. She said that her sergeant clocked me doing 90 (35 over). I could not believe that I was going that fast but I did just tune up my bike the day before and with my side mount speedo, I wasn’t really concentrating on my speed, but rather concentrating on the car behind me riding my ***.

The point of this post is not about weather or not I was speeding or even weather I should pay the fine. I know that I was speeding, that I deserved a ticket and I have already went to court and paid my fine. My problem is with the prosecutor and the fine itself. On the court date, I showed up in a suit and tie and spoke to the prosecutor to try to make a deal. This was my first speeding ticket, so I really didn’t know what to expect. They sat me in a room and gave us all lectures on court etiquette that included no cell phones. While waiting an hour and a half I noticed one prosecutor texting most of the time between making deals and sometimes while speaking with people making deals with them. When she finally called my name to discuss my ticket she informed me that this would be a $1000.00 ticket and that would be the best deal she could do. My mouth dropped and I did agree to pay the fine. I was very polite to her (yes mam, I understand I was speeding… etc…)

I thought this fine for speeding was ridiculous and when I went out into the court room to pay the fine I heard the judge set a fine of $350.00 for someone doing 87 mph on that same stretch of road. Hell, the fine for a DUI is $1000.00 (from what I read in the pamphlet that they handed out in the court room).

Needless to say, I will do my best to stay away from Sandy Springs and not do any business there.

My question is this, what is the biggest speeding ticket you have got and what was the fine?
Lawyers and Judges are for the most part a crooked bunch. You failed to put any money in their pockets so they hammered your ***. That's just the way it works in America.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
MidwestRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1,000 is way too much and I have never heard of a person getting a 1,000 fine. I never got a speeder but I have never seen a 1,000 fine here in IL.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 AM
MidwestRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
A friend of ours got pulled over by a cop for speeding and the cop walked up and said, "I've been waiting for you all day." Johnny deadpanned back, "Well I got here just as fast as I could."
Thats a good one.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 AM
NightsterAl
Cruiser

I'm originally from St Louis and know that the IL State Patrol you do not want to mess with.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 AM
08KING
Road Warrior

30mph over the limit is an automatic license suspension here in IA.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NightsterAl
On the court date, I showed up in a suit and tie and spoke to the prosecutor to try to make a deal.
Your first mistake was getting busted 35mph over the limit.

If you are not an attorney...trying to "make a deal" with the prosecutor was your second mistake. Next time tell it to the Judge. I don't know ANY prosecutor who will make a deal unless they are dealing with another attorney. Why do you think they call them prosecutors in the first place? They usually get a bit offended by people walking in there trying to do what they consider is bypassing the system. Usually the Judges are more prone to at least listen to your side of the story.

But 90 in a 55 will get you a spanking just about everywhere.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
Yeah, it's funny now...but, at the time...the combination of my youth, bein in Middle-of-Nowhere Southern Jawja, the look on the judge's face, and the tone in his voice...'bout left a brown spot in the back of me jeans. And, all of a sudden, a hunnert 'n twenty-five bucks didn't seem like so much afterall.

LMAO....yeah I know THAT feeling...

Quick Reply: Most expensive speeding ticket?