General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After you bought your first harley, did it live up to the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Did it live up to the "hype."

Yes. If you call people being happy with their bikes "hype."

Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My first "Harley-Davidson" was a 65cc Leggero way back in 1970, when I was 12 years old. That was after two years of small mini-bikes and a 50cc Benelli. It was great fun. After that, I had a 125cc Rapido, then a SX175 and finally a SS250 before leaving High School for the Air Force. All were great bikes and the only reason I got rid of them was the need for bigger, more powerful bikes. While I was in the Air Force, I sent Dad a brochure on the first big Harley that I wanted, along with the down payment, and asked him to pick it up for me. It was a 1980 Low Rider. It cost $5,995.00 otd. That was in January 1980. I had to wait until I got home from Okinawa in March of that year to even ride it. It about killed me. But man, was it worth it. When I first fired up that big 80" twin, the excitement within me was/is hard to describe. I thought back to my younger years on the smaller Harleys. I thought about my Dad who had ridden Harleys most of his life. I thought about the history of H-D and all those that rode them, from Evel Knievel to the Hells Angels. The bike just sitting there idling, feeling the vibration from it causing the mirrors to blur, the feeling of raw power from years of development. Pulled in the clutch, tapped the shifter into first, and away I went. The biggest grin I'd ever had on my face was present that day. It's a feeling I'll never forget.

Damn, sorry for rambling.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:56 AM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I knew it on the ride home from the dealership.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Phil K
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First Harley was a 79 Sportster..wanted a Harley from the time i was 5 years old. Although a notorious AMF model..it met and exceeded my expectations..never gave me a problem. However..my 06 Bob is twice the bike the Sporty was. HD hasn't disapointed me yet!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 AM
midlife rider
Tourer

Absolutely yes! I'm 47 and have ridden bikes on and off since I was a teenager and I bought my first Harley last summer. This is the grreatest thing since sliced bread and indoor plumbing!!! Every time I leave the driveway it's a thrill...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
frankjake
Road Master

I don't follow the "hype" or anything else that mass population does. Honestly I never wanted a Harley.

But then the VRod came out and I just fell in love with the look. But I also wasn't willing to pay $5,000 OVER msrp. So I waited a while.

My first Harley was the VRod and I was extreamly happy with it, so I guess you could say yes it lived up to the hype.

I also really like the look of the Dyna Wide Glide but couldnt' justifiy 2 bikes. Then the Fat Bob came out, was able to take it for a test ride and fell in love with it. So now I'm on my 2nd Harley and it too has lived up to the "hype" if that's what you wanna call it.

At this point in my life, I can't see ever giving up my Harley. But of course things do change with time, so you never really know. Like I said, I don't own them because the name Harley is on them. I own them because I want to.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Dozzer
Advanced

Originally Posted by a1amarine
I remember not being able to sleep thinking about getting a harley. the dreams were very vivid and borderline obsessive. Ever since I bought one, the real life is better than any of those dreams I had.

Now all the dreams are about what I'm going to do next to the scoot.

I pick up my first HD tomorrow! I can hardly think of anything else right now!!! Dreaming about it... Spending hours a day on this damn site, reading about them!!!

Not sure of the 'hype', but I sure am excited about gettin her on the road...

I'll post tomorrow and let you know how I feel when I get home!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Yes it did. I get many more comments about the bike than I ever received before. Many people view Harley as THE ONLY Motorcycle.

I'm happy with it and love the ride.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:46 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Rode Jap and Brit bikes for years but always wanted a Harley. My first was a 94 Low Rider It was everything and more. Finally upgraded last year to an 08 Fat Bob. I've never regetted owning an HD.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

It was back in 1971 and I would say it did

Quick Reply: After you bought your first harley, did it live up to the hype?