General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After you bought your first harley, did it live up to the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 04:11 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You bet, and then some. No other bike as far as im concerned.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

without a doubt and have had four more since the first.there is nothing that sound's feel's or ride's like a harley. and i have rode alot of bike's in 52 year's rideing. and for me the excitment of the ride get's better with age.there is something about the feel of a harley. that is hard to put in to word's.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 AM
nolafishr
Banned

Yes it did, I am very Happy with it, I would not look back!

2009 Road Glide - Red Sunglo

Old 01-30-2009, 05:29 AM
blue82001
Intermediate

Sure is.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

I'm lucky I guess...... I've had many bikes, Brits, Japs, and HD's... and every one of them met or exceeded MY expectations..... of course, I actually researched all of them (except for my first bike, but I didn't know squat then, so even THAT bike exceeded).

If you're a RIDER you know what you want.... if you're a sheep.... you buy what someone tells you to buy.... and then you're often dissapointed

Old 01-30-2009, 05:49 AM
RoadKing_Bob
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Wink My personal experience

I have to admit that my first new Harley in 1986 , which was a 1983 Police Special with only 90 some miles on it (showroom promo bike), was of mixed feelings, first the excitement up to the time I jumped on the the bike and actually realized I now owned a Harley, soon turned to questioning whether or not the engine was going to blow up on the way home! I came from a long line of jap bikes (dirt to street racing) and was not used to the normal noises that a Harley made. This bike had a few problems through the years (11 years to be exact) but I have a lot of good memories on that bike, I have since bought 3 more new Harley's and each one seems to get better in handling and general operation and I love the "Type of Ride" (I just made that up) that only a Harley can give you!

Last edited by RoadKing_Bob; 01-30-2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: specified 11 years
Old 01-30-2009, 06:03 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My belief is it did. 1971 I bought a 56 K Model Sportster. They have been as good as I thought since. Either you like em or you don't. I do.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 AM
roadking1893
Tourer

AT 49 I was still in a dark cave about the hype you speak of. All I wanted was to get an Harley and ride the windy roads I've riden in my Boxster and experience the same passion I see Harley riders when I ran into them on the same road. If the hype you speak of is riding 1, 2, 5 or even 200 miles with that silly smile feeling you're ridin on a cloud above everyone else. It is beyond my ability to describe what I feel when I can ride, whether it is 30 or 100 degree outside. My lifestyle for work this days seem to have some impact me and induced a stressful day even more than when I was active duty. to relieved me of that stress it is a unwritten routine now that I get on my bike after work and ride that one mile or even do 4 miles making circles at a local school practicing slow riding technique. And the care I give my bike, let me tell you if the Porsche and the BMW's cars I have can talk. they would be bi****ng at the Harley.

Had a mission with the Patriot Guards yesterday to honor the sailors returning from overseas with a parade onboard the Station, 40 degrees and dry I gave my bike a wipe down prior. If the other hype is showing your passion for well made machinery, again I only have 2 cents worlds and it needs to be describe with one dollars worlds to really capture the feeling. If another hype is to spend your hard earned money on some chrome pieces to beautfy your and have a book of explanations to justify every penny. Another undescribable "manly" action.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:26 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,381 Likes on 2,577 Posts

There wasn't much hype in 72,just the thrill of the shaking and sound when you hammered it.Much the same as it is today.That feeling is just not there for me when I ride something else.Not saying there is anything wrong with the others.But,"If you gotta ask you wouldn't understand"comes to mind.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:34 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya see, some of us had them back when it was an individual thing. I don't know that we ever heard the hype you speak of - we might have created it or people flashing on Harley riders created it - so you tell me? Is it worth the hype?

I say it's worth whatever you make it. If you have loved those rumbling shakers since you first saw them, then you're like me. Nothing else comes close.

Quick Reply: After you bought your first harley, did it live up to the hype?