General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After you bought your first harley, did it live up to the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
a1amarine
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember not being able to sleep thinking about getting a harley. the dreams were very vivid and borderline obsessive. Ever since I bought one, the real life is better than any of those dreams I had.

Now all the dreams are about what I'm going to do next to the scoot.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:38 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 465 Likes on 275 Posts

First HD was an '01 Sporty, brand new. Built the motor up to 100hp/88ft lbs and it was a perfect machine for me. Then the wife wanted to ride with me, got an FXDXT (still have it) and now she's bought her own FXDL...marital bliss on the highway. The T-Sport is MY perfect machine.....(with a few mods)

Attached Thumbnails After you bought your first harley, did it live up to the hype?-muscle-bagger.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by a1amarine
I remember not being able to sleep thinking about getting a harley. the dreams were very vivid and borderline obsessive. Ever since I bought one, the real life is better than any of those dreams I had.

Now all the dreams are about what I'm going to do next to the scoot.

That sums it up. Well said.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

I don't own one yet. I'm aiming to buy around the end of February but here's my take on the subject line question.

I've ridden for 37 years. I've never owned a Harley before. Most of my impressions through the years came from the reputation achieved during the AMF years. Like many folks, I labored under those misconceptions long after the MoCo had made significant improvements.

In the past 20 years, I've made many long rides (read 5+ days and 2500+ miles) with friends riding Harleys. There were the typical jokes about the possible problems we'd have when the Harley's broke down but that never happened. In fact, the one time the group was stopped due to signficant bike failure, it was a Goldwing that broke down, not the Harley! In the past couple of years, I was introduced to an Ultra Classic belonging to a friend of mine. He offered to let me ride it and I did out of curiocity. I had no favorable expectations of the bike based on my own prejudices but I came away from that short 5 mile hop liking the bike WAY more than I ever expected to. I have since attended two Factory Demo Ride Days, one with the 08 models and one with the 09, as well as renting an 08 Ultra Classic for three days and 1100 miles and an 08 Road Glide for one day and about 350 miles. I've read all the negatives concerning heat issues and whatever which may or may not be an issue for me. Some folks are bothered by such things and others don't seem to be. I know the bike isn't perfect and I don't expect it to be but I am very much looking forward to purchasing my first Harley and I have no doubt that I'll enjoy it very much.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

When I got my Sportster at my daughter's school fund raiser auction it was Winter so the dealer delivered it in a snow storm in their trailer. The bike was everything I thought it would be. BUT, the reaction from all the different people I know was very strange. Several guys I know had reallty negative remarks like "What kind of message are you sending to your kids"
or " You have kids to raise...what happens if you get killed on that thing" or " I am planning to get one when my kids go off to College" ( his kids were 4 & 5 years old)

The best part was all their wives who said " That bike is very cool" " I wish George would grow a set and get one so we could go riding" or " Bill was going to get one so we could go riding on it but he never did" or " You look good on that bike, I used to ride with my boyfriend before I married Fred and really loved it"

WTF is all that?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Hype? What hype? Guess I just haven't seen it. But it is what it is....

Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Wawrzyniak4
Novice

I first got my Harley,a 2003 Wide Glide,got it in 2007. I was just on such a high and always out cruisin everywhere just lovin it...I had wanted one for years. Then after a short while I started to evaluate the situation and wondered if the bike was living up to all the hype and was it worth the money that I spent on it. After that I put the second guessing out of my head and just continued riding the bike and having a lot of great times on it with my girlfriend and taking trips on it.Then after some time I really started bonding with it and realizing what an awesome machine it is and how solid and roadworthy it is.I have also really felt that sense of adventure and freedom that you get from your bike, exploring all kinds of places and back roads and being in the great outdoors... just nothing like it! Needless to say I'm really lovin it.I only have two riding seasons in so far on the Harley...I used to ride about 20 years ago,had a Honda V-45. I'm looking forward to many more years of riding and to the new lifestyle and all the new friends that will be made while doin so.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 AM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's right in the middle between the people that say Harleys are the greatest thing ever and those that say they're a falling apart POS. My Sportster's not falling apart and not the best bike I've had.
I may trade it in on a supermoto eventually.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:51 AM
un3asyrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by novemberclass
So you know the situation, youve never owned a harley but youre finally going to get one. Then you do. After owning a harley did it live up to all the hype and high expectations? Or after having it a while was it not that big of a deal? Be honest.
do you by chance have a soloflex in your closet? Be honest.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasted 15 years of riding other brands before I saw the light. I love the ride and there is no hype its real.

Quick Reply: After you bought your first harley, did it live up to the hype?