General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After you bought your first harley, did it live up to the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Candy Red
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO

My first one sucked, It was a piece of crap.

The second one was much better, and My faith is restored

Old 01-31-2009, 01:01 PM
webbhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley

Originally Posted by fxdwg_rugby
I still have my first HD, its a 1996 Dyna Wide Glide. Its surpassed all of my expectations with 83,000 miles on it. Harley Davidson was still fighting for market share and to survive. Their build quality was second to none. Now, I am not so sure. I wouldnt buy any of their NEWER bikes because the quality isnt there anymore. Cast bottom ends, cheaper bearings, all for the greedy dollar.... F'EM
They have improved their frames, the fuel injection, and paint.
I am sorry but I do not agree with you on this! I just traded my 07 Goldwing with comfort and navigation! The Navigation was freezing up all the time, the Left bag Kept braking clips that open it, The motor had alot of lifter noise, And the Dealer nor Honda would take care of it! the bag clip Broke 600 miles away from home....got it open but put a 2 inch gash in my finger due to the position of the switch...The dealer fixed it 2 times and the 3rd they charged me. Lifter noise? they said was normal...No I have never heard one doing that! Now I have a 09 ultra. Better Quality!!!!! Honda suppose to be second to none! Nope!!! Buy Into America!!
to each his own though.

Last edited by webbhead; 01-31-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have rented an 06, 07, 08 Ultra and I'm not impressed at all. We will talk when I see Twin Cams hitting 150,000 miles to 250,000. I'll rent an 09, later this year....
I love my 99, Ultra too, but I know the motor will last even though I'll be putting out 100/100 at the crank, it wont out last my EVO. Will the new cranks handle that? I dont think so after watch two of my riding buddies rebuilding their SE110 after spend $35,000 grand on it. Not to mention their several break downs because of the fly by wire throttle...
Guess you can't make everyone happy. The new twinn cams are sweet machines. Sorry to hear about your riding buds. One thing to remember that I salesman really made clear these machines that we are buying and using are not our fathers machines. There are some things that need to relearned like or not. ie F-B-W throttle and the working power bands. It is a different better bike. Just called progress.

I agree with the post above in the words of Warren Buffet bet on America you will never loose.

Ride Hard.

Relative to the Hype bike just awesome. I get that way every time I press the start button and hear the cannon fire.

Last edited by leicafish; 01-31-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
novemberclass
6th Gear

I still have my first HD, its a 1996 Dyna Wide Glide. Its surpassed all of my expectations with 83,000 miles on it. Harley Davidson was still fighting for market share and to survive. Their build quality was second to none. Now, I am not so sure. I wouldnt buy any of their NEWER bikes because the quality isnt there anymore. Cast bottom ends, cheaper bearings, all for the greedy dollar.... F'EM
They have improved their frames, the fuel injection, and paint.
I thought the opposite was true? quality lacking in the 1980s and 1990s and now the quality is much improved?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:05 PM
ridesanrk
Advanced

Absolutely surpassed every expectation. After owning 5 different bikes over eight years (Jap and German) my wife said "you won't be satisfied until you get a Harley". She was right. (as always) This ones a keeper.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:09 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,959 Likes on 13,498 Posts

I have owned many bikes ,Triumph,BSA,Honda,Kawasaki,BMW(6),so when I bought my superglide in 07, I didn't expect it to compare to the previous bikes in quality.But,it turned out to be a flawless big time fun machine and I will never sell it.It asks for nothing more than routine maintenance and the open road.This bike and myself have "clicked" and we travel as one.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:37 PM
rjb2
Cruiser

Yep and then some

Old 01-31-2009, 07:32 PM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have to say no, it has not lived up to the "hype". I was riding metrics. All I heard is Harley's suck, over priced, shake, leak oil all over the place, parts fall off while riding, not modern engineering, Harley riders are arrogant asses...etc.

Well, I came across a deal I could not refuse on a 2003 FXDP. Took a chance, and it did not live up to the "hype". It didn't suck, it wasn't over priced, it only shook a little at idle, then smooth as glass, no oil ever leaked out, no parts ever fell off, and I found Harley riders and dealers are good folks. Not only that, but there are dealers everywhere and they actually have parts on hand, the aftermarket is great, both my Harleys have been very reliable.

Been a great experience and I love my Ultra.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:13 PM
bluebagger
Advanced
Default the hype

I was on a Goldwing befor I got my first Harley. I did not get the waves from other bikers like I did when I first took off on my first Harldy. When I rode off on my first Harley I got waves from everyone. I knew I had arrived.

Last edited by bluebagger; 01-31-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

My first was a 64 Pan that I bought in 69. Wasn't a lot of "hype" back then except people said that "Those Harley 74's will do 120 MPH and are smooth as silk". That was a bunch of B.S. It was doing good to make it pas 95 MPH and vibrated like a paint shaker but I didn't care. I loved that bike and kept it until I bought a new one 84.

Quick Reply: After you bought your first harley, did it live up to the hype?