General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strictly HD download feedback needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 PM
GEARJAMMER06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strictly HD download feedback needed

hey guys i did a search and found some hit and miss posts on the hd download.....i know that i want a sert and a good tune for sure but i don't have the money right now.i need some feedback strickly on the download.i've done my homework on the sert,and pc,and thundermax.you can find all kinds of good info on all of them,but i need you guys to share your stories that have used the download or know someone that has.every one's got theyre own opinion and like i said mine is that i am going to use the sert and have my bike put on the dyno,but is the download that crappy?? is it good enough to get me through one riding season without my bike running like total junk?? i really need these pipes this summer if i am going to enjoy riding at all so please share your stories and even opions are welcomed......by the way the bike is an 06 electraglide and the pipes will be V&H bigshots with a se air cleaner.......

Old 01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, when i got my bike new i had the pipes, stage I installed and the download. my bike was still lean. was not good! so i took it back, and the dealer gave me credit on the download for the SERT. problem solved bike ran GREAT! now that I'm in the middle of my big bore kit I'm glad I went with the SERT. it's the best choice for the most adjustment.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:50 PM
meveratt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the HD 103 kit on my RG (the kit that includes SE pipes, AC and 255 cams) and the download, and I have no problems with it. It runs cooler than the stock 96, and seems to have lots of power. No dyno numbers to back that up yet, though.

My only complaint seems to be a fairly "abrupt" throttle, but I think that has more to do with TBW than the engine mod.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I first ran the download before my engine mods, and had no problems. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. If I did it over again, I would have bought the tuner in the beginning, and not wasted the money on the download. That's just hindsight talking, though!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 PM
GEARJAMMER06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by meveratt
I have the HD 103 kit on my RG (the kit that includes SE pipes, AC and 255 cams) and the download, and I have no problems with it. It runs cooler than the stock 96, and seems to have lots of power. No dyno numbers to back that up yet, though.

My only complaint seems to be a fairly "abrupt" throttle, but I think that has more to do with TBW than the engine mod.
i might just be having a brain fart but what do you mean by "abrupt"??

Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM
showm
Cruiser

subscribing...

and bump for my brother gearjammer.

i could be totally off base here but what i think meveratt means is from what i've heard...the newer harleys with their new throttle by wire (i think that is what tbw stands for) can take some getting used to by the rider. im pretty sure the touring bikes do not have a throttle cable now so it is kind of a different feel.

that "abrupt" throttle may be a little more intensified by the new tuning of the motor and the different throttle response. maybe a tad jumpy off the line and not as smooth...

hope im not off base here but thats my take on it.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put on pipes and SE A/C, got download, plugs white, got zippers A/C and SE race fueler,better. Got Tmax autotune better still. IMHO, download is ok, but...

Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
GEARJAMMER06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by showm
subscribing...

and bump for my brother gearjammer.

i could be totally off base here but what i think meveratt means is from what i've heard...the newer harleys with their new throttle by wire (i think that is what tbw stands for) can take some getting used to by the rider. im pretty sure the touring bikes do not have a throttle cable now so it is kind of a different feel.

that "abrupt" throttle may be a little more intensified by the new tuning of the motor and the different throttle response. maybe a tad jumpy off the line and not as smooth...

hope im not off base here but thats my take on it.

ahhh yes,that makes sense...

Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

I have used the race tuner, but on this go around, I decided to use the download. I've got the screaming eagle air cleaner and Vance and Hines Shortshot Staggereds on my bike. I have no issues at all with the download. Now if I were going to do any more engine mods, the race tuner is the only way to go.