General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cash Price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Lefty5string
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cash Price?

In light of the current economy and HD recently making so much news about profits being down 58% and cutting 1100 jobs, credit acquisition problems for buyers, rising defaults and repos, etc... I am wondering if they will soon follow the car dealers and offer sweeter deals to a cash buyer.

I don't expect the 2 for 1 deals or buy a Lexus, get a free corolla type things you see in the news but historically Harley hasn't been that willing to sweeten the pot for a cash buyer. Now, considering all the things that can go wrong or backfire or prevent a financing contract I'm wondering if there will be a change in philosophy.

I stopped by a dealer yesterday on my way home from an appointment and talked to a salesman about a new RKC I've had my eye on. It's got the ABS and security, 2 tone paint, etc and with CA emissions and LA tax I think he said the OTD price was around $23k.

I asked him about a cash price and he said they would "work with me" on that but the dealership gets points with HD for setting up financing and something else so they don't have the incentive that some places like the car dealers have to make a cash sale. He also said that the market is following the housing situation here and there are a lot of defaults and repos starting to take place so who knows what the future holds.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience having made a cash deal on a Harley? What kind of discount did you get? Do you think HD dealers will be getting a little more desparate to make deals soon given the pain HD is starting to feel? TIA

Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If i was paying cash id see a cpl dealers and work my best deal. Money talks.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:52 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers don't want cash. I found that out when I bought my Harley. They would rather be able to try and screw you over on financing. Either you can get a loan or you can't. If you cant I think right now they would be happy with cash. If you can get a loan they would be happy to add to your finance rate and pocket it.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thats a thought there if you got the cash see which deal you can work the best cash or financed then know up front what if any penalty there is to pay off early. Then finance it and pay it off the following week.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:06 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atomic
Dealers don't want cash. I found that out when I bought my Harley. They would rather be able to try and screw you over on financing. Either you can get a loan or you can't. If you cant I think right now they would be happy with cash. If you can get a loan they would be happy to add to your finance rate and pocket it.
+1... I agree. Only reason I can see they'd want cash over financing is if you can't get approved for a loan.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

harley isn't giving any discounts around here on any bikes, even if you pay cash. i stop by the local shop around here and asked about working on a price on a bike and they said harley really won't let them go below msrp, but they can throw in little stuff here and there.
so they are still on there msrp kick, but when i was talking to a parts guy he told me they just laid-off 4 guys in the service department. i talked with the service manager and asked if they have any specials going on and he said you name it and we can make a special. even called me on my cell phone today and asked if there was anything i was interested in and told me he would knock 5% any parts. you know they are hurting when they are calling you asking for business

Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jd8181
even called me on my cell phone today and asked if there was anything i was interested in and told me he would knock 5% any parts. you know they are hurting when they are calling you asking for business
5% off parts... What a joke. Tell him you can get 20% off MSRP on parts by ordering from Zanotti or Chicago H-D.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luckyB
5% off parts... What a joke. Tell him you can get 20% off MSRP on parts by ordering from Zanotti or Chicago H-D.
yeah i know i didn't lol till i got off the phone. if you are a hog's member and show your card when you check out with parts they will give you 10% off and i have a buddy that is a fire fighter and they give him 20% off. so i need anything from there i can call him and get him to buy the parts for me.
with that whole 5% off that doesn't even cover the sales tax

Old 01-28-2009, 07:08 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sure...here's the deal....pay with cash and you can get the bike for MSRP....

Old 01-29-2009, 12:01 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if I had anywhere close to $23K cash to spend on a bike, I would go get two gently used garage queens, or perhap one and pocket the rest. If dealers do not want your cash, there are plenty of folks selling privately that would love to see your cash and you would get a much better deal.

Quick Reply: Cash Price?