General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider Lifestyle, I need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:23 PM
StudentRider
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rider Lifestyle, I need your help!

Aloha from the island of Hawaii where you can ride year round!

the reason i am postin this is that i am currently doing a marketing intership where i am doing research into the lifestyles of motorcycle riders, i am using this information to help build a blog that will address the riding culture here on the island of hawaii so that mainlander riders who have an intrest in moving here can get a general idea of what they can expect when they crate there ride and bring it over, nand hopefully give them an excuse to do so.

So a little about me before i go asking you for info, I am currently a student at the Universtiy of Hawaii at Hilo majoring in business admnstration. i currently own a 05 ex250(ninja) that i purchaced new in 05 and have owned since. hey dont bag it its a cheap ride that gets me around, and trust me i am looking foward to graduating so i can buy myself some real american iron!

What i am currently doing is developing a blog that will address the rider lifestyle here in hawaii. what i want to know is what do you value as a consumer and motorcycle rider when you are looking for real estate?
i know that you think about a great many things when you do move, what kind of riding can i do? trips that are available? etc etc. So what do you think about when you are getting ready to move? be it for retirement, job, lifestyle change, or for the hell of it.
i want to know your opinion no matter what it maybe!
(if i have posted in the wrong place let me know! thanks)

Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main things I would be considering as far as for the motorcycle would be paved road to live on, low traffic in the immediate area and a good way to get to the rural riding areas. Along with a nice sized garage to keep the bike in and to work on the bike.

Good luck with your research

Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lived on Oahu for 3 years...imho living on an island and owning a bike (especially a cruiser), is a total waste! When you first get there its great because there's so much to see and visit. I dont know how many miles of road there are on the island, but I lived on Oahu and got island fever pretty quick.

Besides, I would bet that the majority of us on here could never afford real estate on the Hawaiian island.

Last edited by jwlehman; 01-28-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:17 PM
StudentRider
Stage III

Originally Posted by jwlehman
Lived there for 3 years...imho living on an island and owning a bike (especially a cruiser), is a total waste! When you first get there its great because there's so much to see and visit, but the island aint that big

Besides, I would bet that the majority of us on here could never afford real estate on the Hawaiian island.
I disagree on the total waste part. there are a lot of great rides here, and it may not be the place for someone who rides alot and is always looking for the next great adventure as they will always want to know whats on the other side of the mountain, but for someone who enjoys riding and wants to move somewhere where they can do it year round, where is lifestyle is good and they can afford it then thats great. but not everyone can and thats ok, and i think you would be suprised how afforable it can be. it all depends on where you want to live. if you want beach front everyone knows that going to be pricy, but if you are looking for a good place for a garage, house or whatever there is alot available under 200k.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:29 PM
MRJ_USN VET
Advanced

Took a cruise to Hawaii a few years ago when I just started riding. (Started late in life). My sister, her husband and myself rented bikes from http://www.wingtourshawaii.com/
You can do self guided or guided tours. What a blast ! Check out his website. He has given a number of tours to a diverse group of people. He could probably answer any questions you have about people's thoughts of riding in the islands.

Last edited by MRJ_USN VET; 01-28-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:34 PM
StudentRider
Stage III

Originally Posted by MRJ_USN VET
Took a cruise to Hawaii a few years ago when I just started riding. (Started late in life). My sister, her husband and myself rented bikes from http://www.wingtourshawaii.com/
You can do self guided or guided tours. What a blast ! Check out his website. He has given a number of tours to a diverse group of people. He could probably answer any questions you have about people's thoughts of riding in the islands.
thanks for the tip!, maybe i will interview him for my site. but what i really what to know is what you think? what did you like about it? didnt like? would you consider moving here? why or why not? also, that is on oahu, did you come to the big island?

Last edited by StudentRider; 01-28-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:44 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i were to retire and than re-locate somewhere...would have to be rideabilty year round... wouldn't think that the islands would be my choice because I could see myself riding every road there was...and you can only do that so many times before it's just not fun anymore

Old 01-28-2009, 09:00 PM
condition001
Cruiser

I definitely need more road than Hawaii can offer. Im sure there are many great rides, and i would love to go there and rent a scoot for a week or so, but i think it would be similar to the cabin fever us northern folks are experiencing right now; eventually you just want to ride, who knows how far. The idea of an island kinda counteracts that theory in my mind.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM
fedwa001
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jwlehman
Lived on Oahu for 3 years...imho living on an island and owning a bike (especially a cruiser), is a total waste! When you first get there its great because there's so much to see and visit. I dont know how many miles of road there are on the island, but I lived on Oahu and got island fever pretty quick.

I would have to dissagree. I also lived on Oahu for a little over 3 years. The reason you got Island fever is probably due to the fact you didn't get out and do anything. Being military myself I saw a high rate of divorce during my stay. I also heard a lot of people say they didnt like the locals because they were mean and didn't accept a howlie from the main land. But when I come to think of it most of these people would say I cant wait to get back to the states Um hello Hawaii is a state. My family and I loved it on Oahu and the big Island we would go back in a heart beat. As far as riding we went around the island of Oahu every sunday. If had been able to take my bike to big island I would have loved to do the saddle road trip. Maybe end start over in Kona and take the Mamalahoa Hwy up to Saddle road maybe go up to the observatorie down the other side hit ranbow falls and end up in Hilo for drinks at Cronies. What do ya think ? Eat your heart out Dragon lovers .

Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want riding all year long, come to the southwest.

Quick Reply: Rider Lifestyle, I need your help!