General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joining a HOG chapter, or just HOG in general and pick a chapter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Joining a HOG chapter, or just HOG in general and pick a chapter?

Hey,

Someone brought up joining HOG for it's various benefits, and when renting bikes out of state for example, you get a better deal. I was going to Vegas in March, and was thinking about renting a bike for a day or two, so this came up again.

I hadn't done it before because I didn't know anyone involved w/ one or that they existed last summer, and then w/ the bike getting totaled in Sep, I didn't see a lot of activity over the winter, and only just got my replacement bike this past week.

Anyway, when I did try to go to a demo day at one dealer, there was supposed to be a HOG thing, but it was bad weather, and not the best turnout.

All I know is that there are a few different chapters that meet around here. I live on the border of two states and at least 4 counties around a metro area. So there's my local chapter in SC where I technically live, but then there's a chapter that gets together at the metro city HD dealer on the other side of the border, and then there's two counties on either side w/ HD dealers and I assume different chapters?

I'm about 15-30 minutes from 4 dealers here.

So, do you join HOG and just pick a chapter you like after showing up to some different events, or do you have to join a specific chapter and spend most of your HOG time w/ that group?

I would think it would take a few months for me to try to attend some different events held by each of these groups before I got a feel for what they were about, and if I related to any of the people, etc.

So, if I have to join a particular chapter, then I don't think I'd want to rush into that just to get the better rental deal in a month or so, but if I can join the general group and start attending events at the various places/chapters, then maybe I'd be ok w/ joining now.

Thanks for any help on that...

Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

You have to be a member of the national HOG group before you can join any of the local chapters. I don't think you can join more than one chapter at a time, but you'd have to check with someone else that might have tried.

The only real benefits from joining a local chapter would be the discount (if they offer one, some do, some don't), and if you happen to like the group/rides that they happen to have. I've heard stories about how clickish the local HOG groups can be at times.

I was a member of the national HOG group for several years (didn't renew this past year), and the most valuable part of it to me was the HOG fly n ride program. It's much cheaper to rent through that program instead of the normal rental process (saves you about $50 a day). The down sides are that they don't supply helmets normally with the rental; you have to provide your own. Also, I believe you are limited to the touring bikes in that program as well.

My wife and I rented via HOG fly n ride out of Denver. Had a red 06 EG Classic, went all over for about 3 days on it. It was well worth the membership that year! I just got lazy and let it lapse; I'll probably renew it again this year (it's getting close to that time actually).

Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Asd long as you are a current member of the National HOG, you may join AS MANY local chapters as you desire. You choose the one, or ones you wish to be a part of.

I am currently a member in 3 different chapters, I am active in only 1, but I keep the other memberships so that I get info on events, and dealer discounts at different shops. I know many people that have more than one chapter membrship.

Granted, not all chapters get a discount, thats up to the individual store, but I am lucky to have 3 in the area that do give them to members.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:53 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 487 Likes on 253 Posts

As they charge you to be a member for each chapter.... before signing up.... visit each local/semi-local chapter. Get a feel for them, and the way they operate. Each chapter IS different, they reflect the people in the chapter. One may will be clique-run, while the next will welcome you like a family. And a lot of it, will reflect on how you, present yourself.
If group riding, and charity raising are your thing, you might like HOG... or you might not.

Look carefully as "discounts" as one dealer I know raised the MSRP on accesories by 20% and offers HOG members 15% dicounts. check out actual prices
http://www.harley-davidson.com/ select "accessories and apparel"

Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Mnhorsemom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hub and I have belonged to our local chapter for several years now. You will get out of it what you put into it. We have a very active chapter and also have a LOH group that gets together and does things. We are a pretty friendly group and try to make everyone welcome. We do Wednesday night dinner rides all summer and also have several Sunday "brunch" rides too. We have over 300 members in our chapter but usually only have 40 or so bikes on our group rides. Don't know about other chapters but ours is only $15 a year for membership. We also rent bikes when we take our winter vacation to Florida. We rent from Naples Harley and get a much better rate as HOG members (National)

Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
maverick101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I belong to both local clubs, the place i bought my bike gave you a free year membership. They have NOTHING going on as far as rides or events, its kinda a joke. I joined the other one because they to do alot more fun events.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, remember this, According to the HOG National Charter, NO CHAPTER, may charge more than $24.00 in yearly dues.

They may charge less if desired, but 24.00 is a MAX.

Mnhorsemom is correct. You get out of it, what you put into it. My main Chapter has dessert or dinner rides during the riding seasn, and we meet for dinner every Tuesday night when we can't ride. Anyone may attend and it only costs your dinner at whatever place we go.

My Dealer gives 15% discount to Chapter members AFTER thier first year. This elliminates smeone joining just to make a large purchase.

Look at several chapters Visit, and see how you are treated. Choose the one you feel best about and visit a second time. Then decide ifyou wish to join.