General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder beach rally spring '09

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 PM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been going to MB since spring 2000. Just went to the Thunder Beach fall rally last year for the first time. The Panama City event was not as large, or quite as well attended, as Myrtle. Of course, that may have been caused by the beginning of the economic downturn or the high price of gas (and everything else). I ride to both of these rallies from NE Florida and was surprised by the lack of florida plates at Thunder Beach. It seemed like most of the bikes were from Georgia and Alabama. I think that lots of guys from Alabama use Thunder Beach as an excuse to ride all across the Redneck Riviera. I don't blame them. Beautiful beaches and some nice coastal type riding. At thunder beach, we stayed at a really nice condo across the street from Sharkey's. The name escapes me now, but it was a nice place, and Sharkey's is a good hangout close to the room. People there (in Panama City) were really nice and seemed to genuinly appreciate the business. I don't think that they even raised the price of a beer just because they're having lots of company. (wish I could say the same about Daytona) We hung out quite a bit at Coyote Ugly. They put on a good show and have outside seating where you can watch the parade of bikes go by. All in all, Thunder Beach was a really good time. Maybe with everyone boycotting Myrtle, Panama City will be even more popular.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:57 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouln't go at all, I went back in 2002 I think and was not impressed. I also went back from 2003 till last year and have never had a good time. I wouldn't go to the Tiki Hut, Ms. Newbies, or any of those other places mentioned. Trust me I have been back trying to have a good time and I just can't find one down there. I did make reservations yesterday to go back in the spring and try it ONE MORE TIME. I will report back after the ralley and let you know but I already know I won't have a good time.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM
SteveCarney
Cruiser

go to bikeweek instead. Thunder beach is small, few vendors, usually not a great band. I mean i'm close enough to make a day trip out of it, and i have family in pc who i can stay with if i choose, but if you're gonna have to stay there, save your money and go to bike week.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
SteveCarney
Cruiser

daytona, i mean.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gobblerhuntr
I wouln't go at all, I went back in 2002 I think and was not impressed. I also went back from 2003 till last year and have never had a good time. I wouldn't go to the Tiki Hut, Ms. Newbies, or any of those other places mentioned. Trust me I have been back trying to have a good time and I just can't find one down there. I did make reservations yesterday to go back in the spring and try it ONE MORE TIME. I will report back after the ralley and let you know but I already know I won't have a good time.
Keyword here is "I already know I won't have a good time". How can you possibly have a good time anywhere when you roll in with that kind of attitude. Having said that, I have been going there many years and with many people and the trip has evolved for me. I have been there with a bunch of guys, with a bunch of couples, sometimes lots of partying and sometimes lots of just laying by the pool or on the beach. The trip is pretty much what you make of it. One thing you can be sure of is there is something for everyone. When I said this trip has evolved for me, I now always take the wife, we bring the toyhauler, stay in the rv park, cook out, ride some, visit the vendors. Lay by the pool. Have a few beers. A far cry from the days when I use to roll in there stay out until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning on the first night, then, nurse a hangover all day the next day, so my whole riding day got ruined. Personally, I really like the way I do it now, and it's way more fun for me now, just me, mama and the dog. It's all in what YOU make it. I'm not making any judgements on how anyone enjoys this event, point is you can do it anyway you want. Hope you all enjoy Thunder Beach!

Last edited by Deepsouth251; 01-27-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 PM
dc1503
Tourer

hey deepsouth, thanks for the comments. thunder beach, i know won't be as big as mbbw or daytona. but i've only been to florida twice, both times were in a cage. just looking for a good ride, meet up with my brother bikers , and maybe a couple of brews here and there. i learned long ago its about the ride not the destination. btw, see your a fellow firefighter also, 21 years for me. i'm a volunteer assistant fire chief here. full time 911 dispatcher. ride safe