General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$47K tied up in a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It ain't really impossible..

Wife has a 2006 Softail Deluxe. If I add up the total value of all the add ons, and changes she has made, there is a total of 14K over the cost of the bike. (bike was 18,500 new)

I know it is her first bike, and will be the only bike she ever has, and she wants it to be a tad different than others, so I really don't mind. 90% of the changes were performed by me, so that figure does not include labor. And her engine is Stock. Add in a rebuild, and I am betting you could easily see another 2-3 K

When you look at wheels, Chrome rotors and pully, trunk for travelling, CB Radio, good saddlebags, TONS of chrome, and a custom paint job, it all adds up fast.

Granted, not all of the things we have gotten for her bike stay on the bike..Trunk is only used when travelling, saddlebags are not on for day rides, You get the idea, I am sure.

I have the reciepts for every item. Granted, I did say VALUE, not what I actually paid, I always look for a deal on everything. Bike won't be sold until she quits riding, and I am hopeing that she will ride at least another 10 years. But reallity does bite...and she will probably only ride another 5 due to age. I'll take what I can get, she is my best friend and riding partner. She is happy, which makes Me happy too.

Attached Thumbnails K tied up in a Road King-riding-the-7mile-bridge.jpg  
Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM
joromu
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$47k or $147k. Who really cares? You get what you can afford and enjoy it. Some people worry more about that crap than they do riding. How much chrome or this, that or the other? Get out and ride and be safe.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

A 'friend' of mine won't ride in the rain because he has over $13K in chrome. At least that's what he claims. Not much of a comeback when I tell him he got screwed on 10K of it...

Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

47K Road King?
Someone track him down and lets get some pics of this baby.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've spent over $47k in ****, booze and a used Corbin seat for my RK off eBay, you'd be surprised how fast it adds up.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:36 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for grins I went to the Customizer on the HD site and picked a Road King Classic. Added a bunch of the options just to see what I could come up with. Started with the Tour Pak ($1300), Edge Flame Paint Set ($2199), Zumo GPS system ($799), SE 110ci Stage 1 Kit (1675), and new wheels ($1600). Without shop time the cost of the bike only rose to $28,000 ... so figuring about $5k for installation it came in around $33k!

I guess a guy could find a lot more stuff ... but how in the world do you get it to $47k? And why would you ... I'm with a lot of others ... I'd rather have 3 bikes for that price than just one.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
It ain't really impossible..

Wife has a 2006 Softail Deluxe. If I add up the total value of all the add ons, and changes she has made, there is a total of 14K over the cost of the bike. (bike was 18,500 new)

I know it is her first bike, and will be the only bike she ever has, and she wants it to be a tad different than others, so I really don't mind. 90% of the changes were performed by me, so that figure does not include labor. And her engine is Stock. Add in a rebuild, and I am betting you could easily see another 2-3 K

When you look at wheels, Chrome rotors and pully, trunk for travelling, CB Radio, good saddlebags, TONS of chrome, and a custom paint job, it all adds up fast.

Granted, not all of the things we have gotten for her bike stay on the bike..Trunk is only used when travelling, saddlebags are not on for day rides, You get the idea, I am sure.

I have the reciepts for every item. Granted, I did say VALUE, not what I actually paid, I always look for a deal on everything. Bike won't be sold until she quits riding, and I am hopeing that she will ride at least another 10 years. But reallity does bite...and she will probably only ride another 5 due to age. I'll take what I can get, she is my best friend and riding partner. She is happy, which makes Me happy too.
+1......Live to ride, ride to live....enjoy the memories shared, bro....nice thread.....and schweeeet scooter.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:17 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

My broinlaw had about 45K into his '05 RKC before it got stolen.It had cuustom wheels,air ride,tons of chrome,Dragonfly fairing,etc-,etc-.
Now this 45K included the purchase price and all of the other parts/labor for what was installed and removed to get the bike to what he wanted.He also had all of receipts.
State Farm gave him 38K.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 01-25-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

of course, he might just have a garage filled to the rafter with aftermarket parts, he's added, then replaced... and replaced the replacements and so on.... but sounds to me a fine example of more money than sense....

but the REAL question is.... was HE happy?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 AM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Asphalt Assailant
and it didn't start life as a CVO model.

I met a guy who was bragging about his $47K King.

I just shook my head and thought for $47K I would own 6 or 7 biles. Dirt, Street, Track, Cruiser, Tourer and I might enough change to insure them all.

I know, to each their own but my God, 47K in a King? I figured he bought everything at full price and didn't wrench one thing himself. All dealer installed.

just say'n

Quick Reply: $47K tied up in a Road King