General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who do you go to for service?
Harley Dealer
31.25%
Independant
68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

HD Dealer or Indy shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009 | 10:14 PM
Regis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The guys at our local HD dealer are nice enough, but too many of my coworkers here in Palmdale told me to go to the Independent. If you can find a good one, that is the way to go. Pat and Gary at High Desert Performance take such good care of me and my FXST and my girlfriend is now a part of the family with her Deuce.

My local HD dealer won't touch a knuckle or a shovel, but Gary is a pro with these engines and transmissions. They'll come out and do quick adjustments, right there on the spot for free. When my girlfriend first got her Deuce, she had trouble getting her foot under the shifter. We pulled up and they put the bike right on the rack and readjusted the shifter arm right there on the spot and didn't charge us a thing. They've come out and tightened up loose things that you've found when you're already on the road, heading out. There's always a few comfy office chairs in the shop area and you can learn a lot, just hanging out with the crew, while Gary wrenches on a Road Glide or vintage Shovel.

I was there today. They got my handlebar and clutch cable in and got me in, like immediately. And while my bike was getting worked on, Gary found a throttle cable that was starting to get frayed and then he found a broken exhaust pipe bolt. He fixed that right on the spot. That's quality and taking care of business. They never fix anything that doesn't need fixing, nor try to pad the bill 'service writer' style.

Old 01-24-2009 | 10:19 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a great Indy shop that takes really good care of me and my bike. I've referred a lot of business, so he always makes my bike a priority when I need a repair I cannot complete myself.

Old 01-24-2009 | 10:22 PM
1st HD
Outstanding HDF Member

I use a local indy for all my work. Way cheaper than the dealer.

Old 01-24-2009 | 10:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Couldn't answer the poll. I do all of my own service. Does that make me an indy?

Old 01-24-2009 | 10:48 PM
PUBA ONE
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Couldn't answer the poll. I do all of my own service. Does that make me an indy?
I suppose it does!

Old 01-24-2009 | 11:43 PM
dcmassena
Tourer

Seems like I'm in the minority. I use my local dealer when I can't take care of it myself. Of course I have a newer model bike and the I'm comfortable with the guys in the service dept. They haven't let me down yet and they are reasonable on prices.

Of course if anyone knows of a good indy in the north Seattle/Shoreline area, I'd check them out just.

Old 01-25-2009 | 02:11 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tomhummer
support your local independent shop
2nd that !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2009 | 06:00 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a stealer within a mile of me and a indy 8 miles.I go to the indy for a couple of reasons. He's cheaper,he does better work,and he's the only one working on my bike.You go to the stealer, and a different wrench works on it every time. He's been doing it for 4 yr's and hasn't failed me yet.He also honors my extended warrenty.

Old 01-25-2009 | 06:27 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I do my own service ,but had an indy do the engine build.
I only let the dealer do the warranty work.

Old 01-25-2009 | 06:33 AM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
I do my own service ,but had an indy do the engine build.
I only let the dealer do the warranty work.

+1 only warranty work for the dealer

Quick Reply: HD Dealer or Indy shop?