General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our you deaf

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:50 PM
dc3mek
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to get my hearing checked annually at work, and it started off bad from a baseline, so they said I had to wear them. I taxi aircraft around Hartsfield International airport and I can be monitoring six different frequencies...so it can be important, so I have to for my job, but, seeing it go down in quality over the years has made me a believer in their use. As someone here said, just the wind blowing in your ears is enough to start ruining it.
And, I also like the quiet on the road....pipes still seem relatively loud and good sounding, but, the wind noise I can do with out. Also, I have to go through annual training on hearing, and they tell you that after a while, loud noise will make you stressed out and tired.
Just a thought, ifn' you want to be energized for that beer at the end of the day....us geezers need all the help we can get!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:52 PM
dc3mek
Cruiser

"He did however use the word "are" when he should of used the word "our." Surprised you didn't catch the semicolon error. "

Hmmm......maybe people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?????

I hate the grammar police!!!!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've lost most of my hearing over the years, mostly due to ear infections, but I'm sure that I've abused my hearing too. Loud music, loud pipes, loud guns, etc. My ears ring constantly, and the quieter the room is, the louder the ringing gets. I'm going to try the earplugs while on the bike next time I ride, just to see how it is. I know when I wear a full face helmet, it seems nice without all the wind noise.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Always wear ear plugs. It make the ride more enjoyable and protects what's left of my hearing.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe55
Went without them for many years and think I have lost some hearing. Can only hear some of what my wife talking about!
This has nothing to do with the wearing or lack of wearing ear plugs while riding motorcycles. It's known as ASHD or Acute Selective Hearing Disorder. Many people both male and female who have been engaged in long term marriages suffer from this disorder and there is no known cure.

No, I have never worn ear plugs and my hearing tests come back normal for my age group. I've been riding since 1963.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I always wear ear plugs, like to protect my hearing and I also feel less fatigued.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:20 PM
frankjake
Road Master

For the past 10 years or so I would normally wear a full face helmet. But sometimes Iwould wear a 1/2 or beanie helmet and ear plugs made it so much nicer.

Then when the MP3 players became popular I usually have the music ear plugs no matter if I'm wearing the full face or the beanie.

If my ipod had blue tooth, i'd try one of the new helmets with BT built in.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members

when i had my fatboy with no shield and i would do about 80 on the highway for about 50 miles man would my ears ring and hurt and felt like somebody had there had covering my ear not good.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:36 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
For the past 10 years or so I would normally wear a full face helmet. But sometimes Iwould wear a 1/2 or beanie helmet and ear plugs made it so much nicer.

Then when the MP3 players became popular I usually have the music ear plugs no matter if I'm wearing the full face or the beanie.

If my ipod had blue tooth, i'd try one of the new helmets with BT built in.
Do some research and yourself a very big favor, take the buds out because they can and will do more damage than no ear plugs at all. Especially after long term use. There is a phone that has the mp3 as well as being capable of use with a helmet. The LG Chocolate3 will do all you ask.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear ear protection when using chain saws as well as operating skid steers, tractors, and loaders. I should probably use them when riding also. Just never thought about it.

Quick Reply: Our you deaf