Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vegas vacation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 AM
badmoon53551
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
You are gonna be there 2 days...Wear the freaking Helmet they give ya, and quit worrying about it...sheeeesh its ONLY 2 days..

its one thing to wear a benie around your home area, or on your own bike. BUT, if you get caugt with it on a RENTAL, HD and the dealership are gonna have a problem with you for violating the terms of the rental.

I guess it all depends on how much you really want to spend to wear the benie.

Just remember...violating the terms of a rental, could cost you more than the actual rental would ever cost..you do have to sign an agreement to wear a DOT helmet at all times while riding..Don't think they won't nail ya if you get caught violating that one.

Dont't get me wrong...I agree with personal choice...BUT..YOUR choice in this instance is to RENT the bike, and that means you CHOOSE to follow those rules.
you must be the guy renting the harley. Im well aware of what could happen if i get popped. And maybe i will just wear the helmet issued since i dont have another one, but my original post was just wondering how hard the law was enforced out there. I got some great answers with the first few responses here that are going to acually help me in my decision. 50/50 aint so bad, had worse. No matter what i do that was acually usefull info. Being there for 2 days, not so much.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM
badmoon53551
Novice

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
They do, coyote urine, it kills all head lice, it's not like it's hot out here and anyone sweats.
Also no fashion police so wear da helmet, although, if I see you, I will post a pic on this site, just sayin.
Ha. That would be funny. maybe youll get your chance.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badmoon53551
you must be the guy renting the harley. .

Nope...not in any way...But I sure don't want to see ANY rider, lose the insurance coverage that they have on the rental in the case of an accident. Not over a silly thing like a helmet. And they will refuse to pay if you are in violation of the rules you agreed to..It could be very costly.

Just like a car rental...if someone else drives...coverage is non-existant.

Hopefully, you will have an awesome trip, and great memories afterwards..

Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 AM
badmoon53551
Novice

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
Nope...not in any way...But I sure don't want to see ANY rider, lose the insurance coverage that they have on the rental in the case of an accident. Not over a silly thing like a helmet. And they will refuse to pay if you are in violation of the rules you agreed to..It could be very costly.

Just like a car rental...if someone else drives...coverage is non-existant.

Hopefully, you will have an awesome trip, and great memories afterwards..
Thanks, Ive never been there, it should be a great time. Its for me and the wifes 10 year anniversary.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

Read the rental agreement closely...it may not state specifically that it has to be worn on your head, if not then wear it on your knee, left one as there are many more left hand turns in Lost Wages

Old 01-24-2009, 12:09 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Once you get to Vegas and see how these idiots drive around here, you will probably WANT to wear your helmet.

People here drive worse than they do in Los Angeles. Seriously, just watch out for the other driver. People here stop in lanes for no reason, make turns from anywhere they want, drive way to fast, constantly running red lights, it's pretty bad here when it comes to drivers.

So just be a little more cautious and have fun. I honestly don't think you will have any trouble wearing a novelity helmet, so it's your choice on that. But like someone else suggested, don't take it with you when you rent the bike. If they know you might be planning on wearing one, they won't rent to you.

Do you have any rides planned here in Vegas or are you just going to "putt" around town?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:45 PM
badmoon53551
Novice

actually, I have some family in mesquite that comes to wis. every summer so its about time we visit them there. Anyways most the vacation spent on the bike will be around that area and they have a ton of routes mapped out for us, that i actually have not seen yet but they say well love it. We really wont be in vegas besides the first day/night we land. We Pick up bike the next day at 12:00 and head straight out of town. Drop bike back in vegas a couple days later and spend the rest of the week there walking or taxi. Unless we hit a jackpot.Then ill keep the bike all week.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Originally Posted by badmoon53551
We really wont be in vegas besides the first day/night we land.
That sounds like a great plan. Vegas itself isn't all that great for riding, at least in my opinion. I live here part time (winter) and hate riding around town. So much traffic and once you drive the strip in a car, no sense doing it on a bike. Way to many accidents on the strip.

When we go for rides here, it's always out and away from the city itself. Mountain areas are just beautiful and in April, weather will be perfect also.

I'm sure you will have some great rides once you get here.