General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will this affect Harley owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may effect the MOCO itself. But not anyone who owns and rides.
Why should it?
Ive said it before. The company has gone through two world wars, numerous wars, the largest depression in history numerous recessions. I think they will continue long after we are dead.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:39 PM
rprpclark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a big difference between less PROFIT and LOSING BILLIONS.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyday the papers print another company ousting their employees while the top brass bails with golden parachutes.How many jobs have gone out of this country while these companys ask for federal bailouts? Dont expect HD to do any differently. That MV deal doesnt look as good as it did several months ago,wonder how many US jobs that cost.How many dealerships will go out of business this yr? No company is safe in todays enviroment,even the over 100 yr ones.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:58 PM
hogginit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One serious drawback that could be in the offing is that warranty repairs may be more difficult or at least scutinized to a greater degree as well as not giving as great a latitude to dealer warranty decision making.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deepsouth251
Another reason I consider that Harley would be a good company to try and make short term money on is, and tell me if you agree, HD is not going to go under overnight like so many other companys have done, the financial stocks come to mind. Its kind of like sitting and watching saying, not yet, not yet, OK, now!
I agree. HD is in much better shape than a lot of companies, I'd certainly take the chance. There is a lot of talk about HD wanting some of the bailout money, but I honestly believe that is just a "give it to me if I can have it" ploy. Sure they can go to Washington and show that sales are down, that they are laying off people, etc, but these are people that they hired because of the boom in sales over the last 8 years.The real truth is that they were very succesful before the boom, while selling fewer bikes, with less people. Other than building the museum, they haven't exactly spent/wasted a ton of money, except for buying MV Agusta and by take-over standards, they got that for a song. They can simply drop production and be in better shape. The problem that they have to fix is there financing division, they have too many delinquent payments and as was mentioned above, it's harder right now for them to get the backing to give you a loan. But it is fixable. Sure they are down in sales from a couple of years ago, but they are not like GM who has had declining sales for years. HD was steady at about 250,000 units for years, then they took a big jump for about 8 years (during which time they did very little in the way of expansion, etc) and again, I am convinced they will just go back to their old production numbers and stock prices will climb within the next 2 years.

Last edited by Sam; 01-25-2009 at 12:16 AM.