General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen vs Xenon Head light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Swamp-Rat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halogen vs Xenon Head light Bulbs

Are the Xenon head light bulbs worth the time, effort and money over the halogen bulbs......Comparing the wattage say 50/65 (I think is some what standard on these Harleys)

Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Are you talking about Xenon gas filled bulbs ad they put on a blue coating to change the color of the light? Those are great separating your money from your wallet and giving you less light in the process.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamp-Rat
Are the Xenon head light bulbs worth the time, effort and money over the halogen bulbs......Comparing the wattage say 50/65 (I think is some what standard on these Harleys)
Cheapest thing is to aim the headlight, making sure you're lighting up the road, and not your front fender.
Next you could try swapping bulbs, a Sylvannia Silverstar has the same wattagem but is a "whiter" light
Finally, if you still need MORE light, HID will set you back some change, but the light will be worth it
I have the HD fog lamps mounted on the RG's engine guard... good GOLLY I light up the night

Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Are you talking about Xenon gas filled bulbs ad they put on a blue coating to change the color of the light? Those are great separating your money from your wallet and giving you less light in the process.
I just bought one. Haven't put it on the bike yet. Maybe I'll take it back if it doesn't light up the road as well. I always thought they were supposed to be better. Oh well, it was only 21 bucks. I'll try it.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:43 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a xenon light on my Sportster. I thought it made a difference. It was a whiter light now blueish. An HID kit would be amazing.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:59 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

How about going from this to this with HID

These are untouched but taken with 2 different cameras but it is a true image comparison.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:25 PM
bikerick
Cruiser
Default xenon lights

I changed out my aux and headlight with xenon bulbs. It give you a white light instead of yellow tint. Oncoming traffic will see the blue tint which stands out. I have had people tell me that the color jumps out at them when there approaching me. For me the white color is great, but the fact that traffic will pick me up over a regular light bulb is worth the money and my health.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

let me tell you about the HID lights. back road heading to key west last weekend. the guys i was riding with didnt want me out back blinding them with my HID headlight in their mirrors. so they made me ride up front and SHINE up that DARK road. it is so worth it.
the only complaint i have and its not really a complaint is at night i get the oncoming cars flashing their brights at me thinking i have my brights on, i dont have the brights on dip****s. they are aimed just right. but the way i look at it is they can see my lights they can see me!!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Newhawk
Cruiser

I bought a no name brand 60/55w Xenon bulb.
Facing it, it looks bluish but from behind it, the lighting looks white not yellow like halogen lights.
I see better with it whether or not it is brighter.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have a Harley HID kit on my bike. It is very expensive and I don't recommend it as beam shape is poor. I also have HID lights in my car, fitted as standard, and the Harley kit does not measure up.

However there are cheaper HID conversion kits available now which can be fitted into an existing reflector, which get good reviews on HDF. This topic has been covered a lot in other HDF threads, so do take a search.

The Xenon and other fancy bulbs are worth considering. Do not be fooled just because they are bright blue in the pack! When Halogen lights came out they were fabulous, because they created a higher temperature light than the old types. Xenon and the other new style bulbs have raised the temperature yet again, to give even brighter light, which HID also does.

I have fitted Xenon bulbs in my Buell and my wife's Dyna and they are well worth a few bucks. My Harley HID was not worth the money, although it does make an exceptional daytime light!

Quick Reply: Halogen vs Xenon Head light Bulbs