General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen vs Xenon Head light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogmoe7
let me tell you about the HID lights. back road heading to key west last weekend. the guys i was riding with didnt want me out back blinding them with my HID headlight in their mirrors. so they made me ride up front and SHINE up that DARK road. it is so worth it.
the only complaint i have and its not really a complaint is at night i get the oncoming cars flashing their brights at me thinking i have my brights on, i dont have the brights on dip****s. they are aimed just right. but the way i look at it is they can see my lights they can see me!!
To me this is pretty dumb. If you are blinding the oncoming driver you may wind up a hood ornament too. If they are aimed right you wouldn't be blinding them with the low beems on.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
To me this is pretty dumb. If you are blinding the oncoming driver you may wind up a hood ornament too. If they are aimed right you wouldn't be blinding them with the low beems on.
This was a concern at the time when Halogen lights first came out, in the 1970s! Just as back then, we will all get used to the more intense light that HID and Xenon create, as they become more common. Because they are far brighter, even when aimed correctly, some drivers think you are on high beam, so it is important we ensure our lights are properly aimed, to minimise blinding oncoming drivers.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:49 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you happen top have a Dennis Kirk cat? If so, go to their Lighting section. There is a good chart there, showing the different bulbs, on the Kelvin scale.
I run the PIAA Xtreme White bulbs in ALL our scoots. Power consumption is the same as 'stock', 60/55, but the output is 110/100.
We live in deer country, I want and need ALL the light I can get.

They are making a new bulb, called GT-X Super Plasma. Daylight/sunlight is 5250 Kelvin and these bulbs are 5000 Kelvin. The Xtreme White comes in at 4150 Kelvin.
A caution with BIG bulbs. Even tho they draw the same wattage as stock, they do burn 'hotter'. Check your headlight plug connector occassionally. They run hot enough to begin to melt and distort that plug.

Also, as posted, MAKE SURE you have your lights properly adjusted. These things will blind on coming drivers in a heartbeat if aimed wrong. Or they will only work half azzed if aimed wrong.

I also redo the spots. I run 60/60 instead of the 'stockers'. Re do the wiring a bit, so they function high and low, with the dimmer switch.
I have done several scoots, after ppl have ridden with us, and they ask how I got my lights to work like they do and as bright as they are.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM
hdhoney
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sylvania headlight bulb

Can any one help me out the part number for the sylvania silver star replacement bulb for a 2008 electra glide classic? I think it is a H4ST but is there a part number for bulb for this bike. Thanks

Old 10-31-2010, 04:05 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a 55w/100w halogen bulb with a ceramic connector. I can see fine. As HIDs become more common the price should come down.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:20 PM
hdhoney
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PIAA H4 High-Performance Halogen Bulb - GT-X Super Plasma
does anybody know if this bulb will work on my harley 2008 electra glide classic and will it melt my wires lol....need to know soon, have a night trip I have to take thanks

Old 10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Are you talking about Xenon gas filled bulbs ad they put on a blue coating to change the color of the light? Those are great separating your money from your wallet and giving you less light in the process.

I bought these since I could not afford the new LEDs. However, these are WAY, WAY brighter than stock, and I see light reflecting off certain objects in broad daylight.

Performance Headlamp Bulb

This Xenon gas-filled replacement headlamp bulb lights the way with a whiter, more natural light. The coating on the lamp shows a slight blue tint to the oncoming traffic.

67074-02

Fits all models with replaceable headlamp bulb (except '02-later VRSCA, '04 VRSCB, '06-later VRSCR, VRSCX, VRSCF, XR and models equipped with Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit P/N 67864-04 or 67863-04).

MSRP US $23.95

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

I found a true 110 watt H-4 bulb on ebay for $40 (Not supposed to be sold in the USA). It has no low beam, It is continuous true 110 watts on either high beam or low beam settings. It has very very bright white light, and I get cars bright lighting me all the time. But so far no other light on a Harley comes close to it, HID included. Along with my aux lights changed out to 37 watt Sylvania Silverstars (55 watt bulbs get way to hot in the small aux lights housing IMHO), I don't see why you would need anymore light. I have to warn you it does get hot, but has not melted the wires.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 10-31-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Originally Posted by FastHarley
How about going from this to this with HID

These are untouched but taken with 2 different cameras but it is a true image comparison.
I have seen this comparison on a web site on the internet, however you can tell the left light picture is out of alignment and on low beam and is a single light. The right light has 3 lights (meaning aux lights on, you can see 3 beams clearly) and is on highbeam. HID's are bright, however this seems a little extreme. I find this hard to believe on the right side picture, I ordered my last Mercedes with thier top of the line HID's and they don't seem too put out as good as that photo of the bikes light.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 10-31-2010 at 08:38 PM.